Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by delraybuzz

Member Name: delraybuzz
Cruise Date: December 2011
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: 2B
See More About: Celebrity Equinox Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Entertainment 5+

Health concerns dissipated!
Embarkation was fairly simple and help was right at hand to direct us to Captain's Club window, which I was unaware existed. Vessel seemed to stretch forever, but entrance to our cabin was a really pleasant surprise. Much larger than I had anticipated, and well laid out, with the sofa area closest to the veranda rather than stumbling over the bed to reach the doors. The big surprise was the bathroom, which I still would like to pack up and smuggle out to bring home! So much roomier than our memories, and so compactly and aesthetically designed! Wish it had a line for hanging wet things somewhere, but basically almost perfect!

I was happy to be located close to the elevators ((which were beautiful) as the Equinox is a very long ship on the stateroom floors. My walking has been limited since a hip replacement, but I found if I used the central bank of elevators on activity decks....3, 10, 12, 14 etc,the walk was not as far fore or aft, and easier for me.

The Silhouette Dining Room was lovely and more than adequate, and the staff was very willing to fulfill any reasonable request. Oceanview Cafe on deck 14 had so much choice I actually found it confusing! Most was excellent, and it was difficult making the choice of where to have breakfast, since we like meeting new people on 14 and being served on 3! Suggest eating at Bistro on 5 at least once. We ate at Silk Harvest, a visual delight, though beef chow mein on the menu of an upscale Asian Restaurant surprised us! We also thought the choice of 3 entrees for 4 people was a trifle inadequate and puzzling. But the atmosphere was heavenly! By the way, the hamburger/frankfurter stand near the pools had the most delicious burgers. For those watching sodium, the french fries were loaded with salt, but yummy!

The evening shows were most enjoyable and the "Cirque in the manner of Europe" was striking; such talent and daring, with marvelous staging and effects!

If you are a reader, bring books, and plan to leave them behind, as the library was somewhat sparse.

The main pools were not as large as I recalled, but many people used and enjoyed them, and the outdoor entertainment was charming. There was not a moment on the events calendar without something planned, for those who wish to attend lectures or games and such. Sorry, but I can't comment on that aspect, since I was so thrilled to have time to read without telephones ringing or the Internet screaming for my attention!

I recall the daily count of money won on the slots, reaching at least a million dollars at the end; again, no comment as it's not something I dare try! And shopping...well despite the fact I'm all shopped out, and need very little more at the age of 84, my dear husband managed to find a lovely simple pair of earrings for me as a memento of a beautiful cruise.

I hope this is encouraging to those who worry about being "past their prime" for travel. I can no longer look forward to walking through cities I've enjoyed, but cruising is more inviting than I dreamed! I figure if I stick with this beautiful Celebrity line, eventually we'll work our way up on the Captain's Club status to enjoy the various bonuses others have achieved, so that's our plan from here on!

Disembarking went without problems, but I will be sure ALL my carry ons are on wheels, as the walks are very long until one is finally at the lowest floor, collecting luggage. Carrying my heavy tote wore me out!

Publication Date: 12/27/11