Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Tulsa Cats: Celebrity Exquinox, tried to like it

Tulsa Cats
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Celebrity Exquinox, tried to like it

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

My husband and I enjoy traveling off season when there were fewer people.

We found a good deal on what we had heard was a great cruise line, and some of the ports were new to us, since we have cruised the area before. Embarkation was pleasant, the lunch buffet was nice. Our cabin was very normal, with less closet space than we would have likes. Jackets stayed on the floor the entire cruise. Our cabin location was very nice, although I never quite understood why 1221 was on the tenth floor. I would say don't bother with Concierge class. We were seldom in our cabin for canape time, and although the chilled wine was nice, we could have bought a bottle of better wine with money saved.

But let me say, we do like to be on the tenth level, so we chose it. I honestly believe our cabin steward and his assistant were the worst I've ever had. As I said, our jackets laid on the floor. All the pillows on the bed looked nice, but where do you put them at night? On the sofa, More which then makes it impossible for someone who is not ready to sleep, to sit. In the past, we would leave a t-shirt of "comfy" pants out and dress for the day. When we came back, they would be folded and in the same place. Not here. I have heard Celebrity has great food. I heard wrong. Our Thanksgiving dinner gave us something new to be thankful for... no turkey parts at home. The meal was disgusting, and I'm not a picky eater! I had heartburn or worse every night after dinner (early seating). When we tried to go to the buffet for dinner, that was worse. Seriously....... there were leftover shriveled hot dogs, hamburgers and french fries from the burger bar that had been closed down

Many stations were empty, so if you didn't want sushi or Italian food, you were in bad shape. Room service was better The breakfast buffet was brisk and food was pretty good. Great eggs Benedict!! However, no service. I saw passengers busing their own tables so they'd have a place to sit! One young woman cleaned tables around us by putting her dish pan on our table as we ate.

No coffee service at the table BUT there were plenty of people walking around trying to sell you water or wine. My husband and I drink wine, but we were offended by the many ways Celebrity found to try to sell you more. We paid the $150 each to take the behind the scenes tour on the final sea day. It was enjoyable, but too much of the time was spent with the HR director, telling us how well they treat their staff. I also saw part of the reason my Thanksgiving dinner was so awful... boxes of TURKEY PARTS. Not turkeys.

We felt that communication was lacking. I think it would benefit Celebrity to hire a consultant to help make things more user friendly. My husband had a quick trip to the doctor, which went very nicely. ONCE HE GOT THERE. He opened the door that said "medical facility" and it opened into a do not enter area. Fortunately, a crew member saw him and helped him to the doctor's office, which was not clearly marked. We ate in one specialty restaurant, and it was very very good. We loved the ports of Messina, Valleta, Souda, and Rhodes, which were new to us. Leaving the ship was orderly, and on a rainy morning, they did an excellent job of getting us off the ship and to our luggage. Not a horrible experience, but I don't know if I'll ever get my husband back on a Celebrity ship. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Concierge Class Panorama Deck (9) 1221

1221 was a great location, pretty much center ship, with very little noise

(5.5)
I love Sorrento! We were part of a CC group with AP TOURS, and they were wonderful. I cannot say enough good things about our two handsome attentive drives/guides. They never left our sight, except for the time we spent with a guide in Herculaneum. We enjoyed that tour, although I must admit, it was a bit rushed, but we had a busy day. We drove up to Sorrento for a cheese farm tasting, wine tasting and olive oil tasting. We learned a lot and ate and drank a good amount. It was awesome for the foodie. I would highly recommend it and AP
Read 643 Naples Reviews

We walked off the ship and into Rhodes, which was so wonderful. You'll have to know where you're you're going to see where the Colossus was, but it's a lovely city, a lovely walk and it is do-able on your own, if you like.
Read 185 Rhodes Reviews