Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by bortzct: Didn't want this cruise to end!!

bortzct
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Didn't want this cruise to end!!

Sail Date: December 2011

This 4 night cruise to Cozumel on 12/15 far exceeded my expectations! I normally do the 7 night cruises and thought a short cruise is basically just a party ship - boy was I wrong. By picking a short cruise that had two full sea days, we were really able to relax and enjoy all the great features of the ship. The Liberty of the Seas was the largest ship I had been on but it still was very easy to get around (love those interactive boards by the elevators). Out of the 9 cruises I have done, this is by far my favorite ship. Not only the design of the ship but the high caliber of entertainment just blew me away. I highly recommend doing the Ice Skating show, Encore, the Up in the Air show, and the full Broadway style production show, Saturday Night Fever. The casino was decent size and both me and my friend actually won money vs donating! Honestly the only thing about the whole cruise that disappointed me with the quality of the food in the MDR. The MDR is a beautiful three level More room and we had a fun couple to visit with but the food quality was hit and miss. The prime rib was great but stay away from the NY Strip and Roasted Duck (both very dry and tough). Everything else was so great, a few lacking dishes did not dampen my total enjoyment of this ship and their great staff. I was amazed at the number of repeat cruisers (all ages) were on this ship - they just love the Liberty.

Here are my top 10 tips for anyone else getting ready to go on this ship:
1) Get to the port early (around 11-11:30) that way you have a short wait and you can be on the ship checking it out within 30 minutes.
2) Pack lightly - I was able to get all my outfits (and shoes!) in a carry-on bag so I did not have to pay any airline bag fees (and I still had 2 outfits that I never wore).
3) Bring your own soda pop on-board. I just brought on a 8 pack of Diet Coke mini-cans and they fit perfect in the cabin refrig. You are allowed to bring on board one 12 pk case of pop. This saves you from paying $2+ per drink on ship.
4) Book your shore excursion yourself vs through the ship. We did an awesome private all-inclusive beach (Nachi Cocom) for just $55 pp plus $15 for taxi. This was my 3rd time there and have never been disappointed. Everytime I felt I had the whole beach to myself!
5) Don't forget about the ends of the ship on the sun decks - there are always plenty of empty sun chairs.
6) Make your show reservations on line before you leave home so that you can get in and get good seats because trust me, these shows will be packed.
7) Be sure to try the croissant sandwiches at the Cafe Promenade - yummy!
8) Don't miss out on the 70's Disco Party in the Street on the Promenade - you will be dancing to the YMCA song before you know it!
9) Do self carry luggage disembarkation. That way you can sleep in and just walk off whenever you want. Getting off the ship was the only long line I had to deal with the whole cruise. Once through customs, our KSA shuttle had us to the airport in less than 15 minutes (only $10 pp).
10) Save some money and book Balcony room 9704 -On the 9th floor on the very end of the ship on the port side corner - we had fantastic views and saved the dollars of a full size balcony. Absolutely loved it!

I hope you love this ship as much as I did - I plan to take my whole family with me next time and will make sure it is on one of RCCL's Freedom class ships. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 9704

Fantastic cabin - by being on the very end on the port side corner you only have people on one side of you. You get great views of both the back and the side. Liked being up high and never had an issue with noise. Plenty of storage space for two people even if the bathrooms are small.