Pride of America Cruise Review by Newcruiser06: Anniversary Cruise in Hawaii

Anniversary Cruise in Hawaii

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

We flew into Honolulu a day early (if you have the time I highly recommend doing that). We live in Northern Michigan and by the time we got to our Hotel room we were exhausted. I was so glad we didn't have to go straight to embarkation - I didn't know how much patience that would require. We had the cruise line make our air reservations and book us at the Waikiki Marriott for Friday (now I wish we'd come even earlier). We bought transfers to the Hotel from the cruise line and I don't recommend that. It took them 2 hours to drive us from the Airport to the Hotel - we waited for passengers - we waited while they drove everyone else in the bus to a different location - we were too tired for that and would have been a lot happier paying someone to take us directly to the Hotel. The Marriott is gorgeous - high rise - lots of amenities - right in Waikiki and we had a gorgeous view.
Because we had the pre-cruise hotel room thru the cruise line at the Marriott - they took our More luggage right from our room to the ship for us and also gave us a shuttle ride to the ship and we got to use a special Marriott line for embarkation which was much shorter than the regular one. So - that made embarkation a breeze.
We had a balcony cabin - which I recommend for this Cruise especially and the cabin was really nice. Lots of clever places to put things - a comfortable bed and I loved the balcony. It was covered and it was not hanging over the edge of the boat - there was deck below - the deck was on 6 and we were on 8 so I felt like if I somehow fell off - I could survive.
This was our third cruise - first with Norwegian and first with Freestyle. Turns out we really don't like freestyle. We like walking into the dining room and going straight to our table and getting waited on by our new best friends. You got seated pretty quickly in the main dining rooms - but it just wasn't the same. The crew was friendly and I thought very good but we didn't have anyone more than once and never connected.
The food left a lot to be desired. I can't comment on the restaurants that you pay to use - but we tried the buffet, and both main dining rooms. We didn't feel like the menu choices nor the quality of food could compare to what we had on Princess and Holland America in the past.
But - this Cruise is unique - it takes you to the Hawaiian Island's and you don't really spend a lot of time on the ship.
We thought the crew was great - our steward took wonderful care of us- it was a pretty ship - the cabin was very nice - it's a great way to get a 'flavor' of the Islands. Less

Read more Pride of America cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Pride of America Review >>

Cabin review: Pride of America Oceanview Stateroom With Balcony Deck Nine 8620

I loved the balcony. It was covered and I didn't feel like I would blow off the ship. We were on the port side so we could sit on our balcony and view the Nepali coast which was beautiful. It wasn't far from the elevators but not so close so as to be noisy. The room was cozy and had very clever storage options. The bed was comfortable.

(5.5)
We rented a convertible in Hilo as well - but we rented from Budget and did not have a good experience - we had to rent a taxi to get back to the ship because the shuttle was too small for us to get on and they were not running more than one. And this was after allowing an hour to get back to the ship. But Hilo was a beautiful Island. We went to the Feast of Lele and it was amazing. This is a luau that gives you a flavor of Hawaii, Tahiti, New Zealand and Samoa it took place on a beautiful beach and we had a table for two - it was a wonderful celebration for our 30th Anniversary.
Read 269 Hilo Reviews

We were in Honolulu for embarkation and dis-embarkation. We flew in a day early and stayed at the Marriott Waikiki Friday night before the cruise. It's a really good idea to go early if you can. We walked around Waikiki Saturday morning before embarkation and that was fun. After the Cruise, we got off the ship at 8:30 AM Saturday and our flight wasn't til 6:20 PM - so we went on a tour of Honolulu and Pearl Harbor thru Roberts. Pearl Harbor was moving and we were happy we did it.
Read 264 Honolulu Reviews

(5.5)
I think the 'garden island' was our favorite. We had a chance to visit a waterfall and a beach here - and to drive thru some amazing jungle roads. We did visit the canyon - but if we go back we'll probably stick with the beaches and the forest.
Read 236 Kauai Reviews

(5)
At Kona we chartered a boat to sportsfishing thru Bite Me Charters. Although we didn't get a bite - we had a great time. The folks at the charter treated us great and at one point the boat was surrounded by a pod of dolphin that put on a terrific show. It was a relaxing day on the water.
Read 164 Kona Reviews

(4)
All of the Islands are beautiful. We had some rain - but it didn't slow us down any. We rented a convertible in Maui (Thrifty was a good experience for us). We drove up to the Crater at about 10,000 feet it was 46 degrees. Hawaii is the only opportunity to see volcanoes we've had and we wanted to take advantage of the National Parks - but in hindsight I enjoyed the forest and waterfall and beach visits we did much more. We also went to a botanical garden on this Island and it was amazing. On our way down from the Crater we stopped at a roadside stand and bought an amazing bouquet for only $4 which lasted the whole Cruise in our cabin.
Read 262 Maui Reviews