Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by DirtyGypsy

Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: IF

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
NCL Sky First time cruiser let down
As a first time cruiser I went into this experience all doe eyed, anticipating a wonderful week long experience where I pictured drinks with umbrellas in them and perfection everywhere. But much like a Bride, I found stop gaps and duct tape hidden behind the glass instead of crystal.

Arriving at the gate things were fine, there were some crew members who had refreshments and music playing in attempt to get people involved. We finally started boarding the ship. My sister and I were on the cruise alone making it a girls weekend. So we promptly changed and headed to the pool. We were one of the first people there, but one of the last asked if we needed anything despite making eye contact with the staff.

We made it to our room took our first shower of the cruise and had the handle to our shower come off, we placed it back on, and took our showers, only to have each of us in standing water in the bathroom. We didn't think anything of it, just that the drains were slow.

Over the next days of our cruise the shower over flowed into our cabin TWICE, sopping the carpet in the state room. We informed the Guest Services counter after each occurrence. The staff came and cleaned up the mess in the bathroom leaving OUR PERSONAL TOWELS that we brought from home either hanging up on the hooks or wadded into a ball in the corner of the bathroom SOAKED with the water from the bath room floor. These towels were our personal towels from home which the staff seemed to think it was okay to use to clean up the rank water from the shower, then left them there sopping wet. When the did (after the second complaint) clean out the drain which was the root of the problem to start with, they sent us a plate of chocolate cover strawberries in an attempt to make up for the mishap. Unfortunately, they still had not fixed the nozzle on the shower, so when they called to check in on the shower I informed them of the nozzle and asked for a PLASTIC bag to put our wet towels from the bathroom mess in, I was told that they only had paper. When I asked if they could have room service leave me a trash bag, I was told that I needed to talk to someone else, but I could come up stairs and go to one of the shops on board and get a plastic bag for the towels that they left soaked in our room from the shower that should have been addressed at the very least the FIRST time we said something about it. This was the last day of the cruise in the evening, so my sister and I packed the towels separately, fuming in anger and left.

The ship also seemed to think that on a cruise in December that having 2000 people on board and five hot tubs ( only one of which, is for adults only) that closing down on of the remaining four to paint it would be an excellent idea.Why this couldn't have been done on the day of disembarkation of the last cruise or over, night I am unaware. Regardless if you wanted a hot tub, you have to go prepared to wait, watch them like a hawk and then bee line for one when a spot opens.

All in all. I wasn't terribly impressed, I have had better food. We did have one truly awesome pool side waiter named Deepak.

The shower really did it for me, the entertainment is pretty good. I loved the White Hot Party, I can see cruising as an a excellent vacation on a budget. Will I cruise again? Maybe, whether my problem is with the ship or with the cruise line I won't know less I go on another one with them, but I am leery of spending more money on another experience like that.

Publication Date: 12/25/11