Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by DirtyGypsy: NCL Sky First time cruiser let down

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

NCL Sky First time cruiser let down

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Bahamas

As a first time cruiser I went into this experience all doe eyed, anticipating a wonderful week long experience where I pictured drinks with umbrellas in them and perfection everywhere. But much like a Bride, I found stop gaps and duct tape hidden behind the glass instead of crystal.

Arriving at the gate things were fine, there were some crew members who had refreshments and music playing in attempt to get people involved. We finally started boarding the ship. My sister and I were on the cruise alone making it a girls weekend. So we promptly changed and headed to the pool. We were one of the first people there, but one of the last asked if we needed anything despite making eye contact with the staff.

We made it to our room took our first shower of the cruise and had the handle to our shower come off, we placed it back on, and took our showers, only to have each of us in standing water in the bathroom. We didn't think anything of it, just that the drains were slow. More

Over the next days of our cruise the shower over flowed into our cabin TWICE, sopping the carpet in the state room. We informed the Guest Services counter after each occurrence. The staff came and cleaned up the mess in the bathroom leaving OUR PERSONAL TOWELS that we brought from home either hanging up on the hooks or wadded into a ball in the corner of the bathroom SOAKED with the water from the bath room floor. These towels were our personal towels from home which the staff seemed to think it was okay to use to clean up the rank water from the shower, then left them there sopping wet. When the did (after the second complaint) clean out the drain which was the root of the problem to start with, they sent us a plate of chocolate cover strawberries in an attempt to make up for the mishap. Unfortunately, they still had not fixed the nozzle on the shower, so when they called to check in on the shower I informed them of the nozzle and asked for a PLASTIC bag to put our wet towels from the bathroom mess in, I was told that they only had paper. When I asked if they could have room service leave me a trash bag, I was told that I needed to talk to someone else, but I could come up stairs and go to one of the shops on board and get a plastic bag for the towels that they left soaked in our room from the shower that should have been addressed at the very least the FIRST time we said something about it. This was the last day of the cruise in the evening, so my sister and I packed the towels separately, fuming in anger and left.

The ship also seemed to think that on a cruise in December that having 2000 people on board and five hot tubs ( only one of which, is for adults only) that closing down on of the remaining four to paint it would be an excellent idea.Why this couldn't have been done on the day of disembarkation of the last cruise or over, night I am unaware. Regardless if you wanted a hot tub, you have to go prepared to wait, watch them like a hawk and then bee line for one when a spot opens.

All in all. I wasn't terribly impressed, I have had better food. We did have one truly awesome pool side waiter named Deepak.

The shower really did it for me, the entertainment is pretty good. I loved the White Hot Party, I can see cruising as an a excellent vacation on a budget. Will I cruise again? Maybe, whether my problem is with the ship or with the cruise line I won't know less I go on another one with them, but I am leery of spending more money on another experience like that. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky

Most people that we spoke with did not like Freeport. Once making it into the port, there are several small shops with wares for purchase, and the area where all the taxi's and tours are set up. My sister and I pulled a Cabby off to the side and did some negotiating and ended up at a completely secluded beach away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist scene. There was a house on one far end of the beach and a small restaurant on the other. We were the ONLY two people out there, till a jogger and two locals walked by gathering shells. It was pristine and wonderful. We finally after several hours of sun bathing gathered our belongings and walked to the restaurant where we each got ourselves a beer and spent another few hours in the hammock in tranquility. Our cab driver Moses, came by early to check on us and was content sitting at the bar with a soda till we were ready to leave, he also boasted that the section of beach we were on happened to have been the place where two of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies were filmed, and I would believe it having been there. We had brought our mothers ashes along with us and found this place the perfect resting place for her, now she will always be in paradise.
Read 775 Freeport Reviews

Nassau- the port is beautiful. The shops are vast. There are peddlers everywhere hawking wares and convincing bald people to get their hair braided. Ladies---- If carrying a purse onto the island and you plan to do shopping. Make sure you have an over the shoulder bag that does NOT hang low, no back packs, hold your bag tight to your shoulder. My sister and I were followed down most of the market, and these sorts of placed are PRIME pick pocket areas. Try not to carry more cash than what you think you REALLY need, you can always go back for more. Don't wear lots of jewelry and don't bring or wear anything you would be really upset if you lost. Leave your passports in the safe on board. Nassau is dirty... if you are looking for culture, you won't find it there. Star bucks, burger king, gucci, bacardi and other name brand and American stores are what you are going to find. No local eateries less you leave the main port area. walking out of the market you are surrounded by areas you probably shouldn't be in alone and unknowing of your surroundings. My advice is this, either go to Atlantis or stay on the ship and stake out a hot tub.
Read 2629 Nassau Reviews