Westerdam Cruise Review by mslindy

Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: VH
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
Wonderful experience, the Panama Canal was awesome
A fellow passenger has written about this cruise that the passengers were old. True there were no children to speak of, but the age range was very wide. From honeymooners to people celebrating 50 years of marriage.

We found it to be on of the most friendly cruises we have been on. Both with staff and passengers, I feel that we have made friends for life. Just a bit sorry that our trivia partner thought us old. When in actual fact not that much older than himself.

The staff was great, our cabin steward was always ready to help, our fruit basket was filled daily and the level of service was excellent.

Having a severe shellfish food allergy I found the dining room to be very accommodating to my quirk and I was at ease that my food had not been near shellfish. It was an enjoyable experience, both in food and service. I have had better food on the Eurodam and Ryndam but it was still first class.

The weather was in our favour the whole trip, it was an excellent crossing through the Canal, dry and the visibility was excellent.

This cruise had a particularly third world ports of call, it was not your touristy canned type of trip. Columbia and Nicaragua are places that don't have 5 star all inclusive resorts, however they are steep in history and it is interesting to see this part of the world. It does give you a point of reference for listening to the news back at home. The countries and beautiful, and the people friendly, though the poverty is very evident. If you are looking for a fun and fluff cruise, this itinerary would not be the one. If you are looking for history and reality, this this is the one.

We had the time of our lives. I would do this cruise again in a heart beat.

I am a fan of HAL and will cruise with them again, and again.

Publication Date: 12/25/11