Westerdam Cruise Review by mslindy: Wonderful experience, the Panama Canal was awesome

mslindy
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Westerdam Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Wonderful experience, the Panama Canal was awesome

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: San Diego

A fellow passenger has written about this cruise that the passengers were old. True there were no children to speak of, but the age range was very wide. From honeymooners to people celebrating 50 years of marriage.

We found it to be on of the most friendly cruises we have been on. Both with staff and passengers, I feel that we have made friends for life. Just a bit sorry that our trivia partner thought us old. When in actual fact not that much older than himself.

The staff was great, our cabin steward was always ready to help, our fruit basket was filled daily and the level of service was excellent.

Having a severe shellfish food allergy I found the dining room to be very accommodating to my quirk and I was at ease that my food had not been near shellfish. It was an enjoyable experience, both in food and service. I have had better food on the Eurodam and Ryndam but it was still first class.

The weather was in our favour the whole trip, it was an More excellent crossing through the Canal, dry and the visibility was excellent.

This cruise had a particularly third world ports of call, it was not your touristy canned type of trip. Columbia and Nicaragua are places that don't have 5 star all inclusive resorts, however they are steep in history and it is interesting to see this part of the world. It does give you a point of reference for listening to the news back at home. The countries and beautiful, and the people friendly, though the poverty is very evident. If you are looking for a fun and fluff cruise, this itinerary would not be the one. If you are looking for history and reality, this this is the one. We had the time of our lives. I would do this cruise again in a heart beat.

I am a fan of HAL and will cruise with them again, and again. Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Westerdam Review >>

Cabin review: Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade 7034

7034 is in a good quiet location. It is on the port side way from any crew space and quiet, though it is up near the front we did not feel any extra movement. The cabin itself is clean and well kept. The balcony was great and the view wonderful. I am glad that we were up that high. Has a bath and shower combo. Would pick it again.