Carnival Magic Cruise Review by auggiejerz1

Member Name: auggiejerz1
Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 4H
See More About: Carnival Magic Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Magic Dec 11 2011
Background Info

My wife and I went on this cruise with 2 other couples. We are in our late 20's -- early 30's. This was my 5th cruise and my wife's 3rd.

The cruise ship terminal was as crazy as ever. It seemed like the security line was the longest I had ever been in but then check-in was the quickest so it all balanced out. We were able to board around noon.

Stateroom

Our stateroom was the standard stateroom I've come to expect and love from carnival. Our steward was great on this trip. I've been on some cruises where the steward never even introduced himself but I got a winner on the magic.

There were always plenty of fun things to do around the ship. I'm not sure if this is because it is the inaugural cruising season for the magic but this ship was VERY crowded. It was hard to find a seat to do almost anything.

First I would like to talk about the main dining room waiters. I had the worst waiters of any of my 5 cruises on this ship. Perhaps because they were stretched thin or overwhelmed with the full ship? This was an every day occurance in the dining room (for dinner). Large parties that sat next to us would order arrive after us and finish dessert before we received our starters. Coffee service would take 20 plus minutes or sometimes wouldn't come at all. There would be things missing from our plates and we would tell the waiter and he didn't come back with them (just in one ear and out the other). Water and tea refills were few and far between also. I genuinely regret not saying anything the first night but we wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and it just never got better.

Room Service ... another amenity I believe has gotten worse over the years. You can order over the TV now which was cool but from the two times we ordered the first time never showed up and the second time took an hour and a half. You're probably better served to run to the pizza or sandwich place and grab something than wait for room service.

Alternatively we also ate in the dining room for breakfast and lunch and that service was exponentially better.

Also, we ate in the two specialty restaurants (the steakhouse & the Italian) both were wonderful and I would highly recommend everyone try both of them out. *Note you can eat the Italian restaurant for free during lunch but it is a limited menu (still good though) I would recommend eating there for lunch and dinner at least once during your 7 days aboard the magic.

Observations

What happened to the comment cards? We didn't get any. Do they not have guests fill them out anymore? They probably didn't use them anyway.

A few months ago I read an article about elevator etiquette and how rude people are on cruise ships. I hadn't experienced any of that until this trip. I sailed with some of the rudest people on the planet... trying to jump in the elevator before you can get out, jumping in front of people in line, stopping in the middle of the walkway when people are behind them, sitting at slot machines for hours without playing them, stealing elevators, etc.

Publication Date: 12/24/11