Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by j4farm: Christmas Cruise with grandkids

Family & Children 3.0

Christmas Cruise with grandkids

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Bahamas

Our cruise started out rainy and windy and that ended up being the theme for most of the cruise. The wind made the seas pretty rough, so it was pretty miserable on board 3 out of the 5 days. Couldn't enjoy the open decks because of the wind and cool temps. But don't get me wrong,that didn't stop us from having a great cruise!

Our room steward, Denis, took excellent care of our cabin. The buffet lines were tolerable, and the food was very good, something was always available for any palate. We had a table of 8 in the Universe dining room. Our waiter, Carlos, didn't have much of a personality, like we've had on other ships, but he got the job done. We could see that the waiters at other tables were interacting with their people a lot more, they seemed to be having more fun than we were!! The food was good, but not outstanding. Many choices, so everyone could find somethng they liked. Desserts were a little disappointing. Chocolate melting cake was on the menu every More night, along with about 3 other choices. I guess none of the desserts really stood out for me.

Overall, I thought the Destiny was still a beautiful ship. It was always clean, and I never noticed any bad smells. The pools were small and looked like they needed an overhaul. Hopefully, they will work on them when she finally gets her 2.0 upgrade.

Our granddaughters are 7 and 9. They went to Camp Carnival the first evening for about an hour. And then a couple of hours on the first sea day. When we picked them up for lunch, they weren't interested in going back, then never did ask to go back the rest of the cruise. I don't think there was a lot of kids on the cruise, but I did see several groups doing a scavenger hunt a couple of time later in the cruise. They both totally enjoyed the shows in the theatre. They couldn't believe how fast they could change costumes and be back on the stage! Each evening, that is what they wanted to do. There was two comedians that were fair, IMO.

We don't gamble, so don't have any comments on the casino. I thought Noonan, the CD, was pretty good, as was all the entertainment staff.

All in all, it was a great week, I give it 5 stars! Less

Read more Carnival Destiny cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Destiny Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Destiny Interior Main 2147

Big enough for the 2 of us. Shower was bigger than I've seen in an inside cabin. Not much sink counter space. Bed and pillows were very comfortable, had no issues with air, when turned all the way on, it was very cold. Water temps were good, could be almost to hot. Plenty of closet space. Hair dryer was next to nothing, but worked and did the job, only lots longer than used to. Bring your own dryer, if you have space! Wish there was a magnifying mirror in the bathroom. There was not. Could hear hallway noise, but didn't bother us.

Plenty of beach chairs up and down the beach close to the dock. Good place to walk up and down the beach and hunt for shells. Clean sand and beautiful water. Margarittaville seemed to be the happening place, but did not go there. Didn't do any excursions, just relaxed.

Booked a beach day excursion through Dolphin Encounters to Blue Lagoon, on our own. It ended up being a waste of money and time. The lunch was a joke, and their ferry times were not as written on the confirmation. Would not ever go there again. Nassau itself, right around the dock area, seemed very dirty this trip. The new straw market had just opened the day we were there. It looked like it will be a definite improvement for the vendors and the tourist.
Read 2665 Nassau Reviews