Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by geb910: Carnival Splendor Dec 11 - 18, 2011

Carnival Splendor Dec 11 - 18, 2011

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

We have taken about 8 cruises before this one. We cruise a bit differently than most in that we do not go to the dining room at all and prefer to stay to ourselves rather than meet people. There were three adults in our party, and we had a Spa Balcony cabin. This was the third time we have cruised on Carnival.

Embarkation: Out of all the cruises I have ever taken, this embarkation was a nightmare. I don't know if it was due to the size of the ship or what. We arrived at the port around 1:30 pm for a 4:00 pm departure. We did not have any special express board privileges. There were 2 long lines going into the building. People were trying to jump the lines and bring friends and family from the back to the front with them -- just plain bad manners. We even saw one girl with a hooded sweatshirt and her baby underneath it nursing in the line while she talked on a cellphone! People refused to stay off their cellphones while in the internal area even though signs were More posted. It took about 2 hours to get to our cabins; however, on a good note -- our luggage was waiting for us when we got there.

Ship: The ship was spotless as always, and the crew was FABULOUS throughout our cruise. We had a wonderful steward who was the only one we ever had that ever bothered to learn our names and use them which was very cool to me. Though the ship is huge, it did not feel any different than smaller cruises we have taken until you went to eat.

Spa: No question -- one of the nicest, biggest I've seen and beautiful! Our cabin entitled two of us to use the pool and sauna rooms free and they were wonderful! I did a massage/facial combo, and it was great though the little masseuse pounded the crap out of me! (sore for days!).

Cabin: We had tons of storage space, and the cabin easily accommodated three adults. Decor was OK -- seen better and seen worse. We were on 10th floor, and though I get seasick my acupressure band worked great as always. We couldn't notice a lot of motion, and the cruise was quite smooth.

Food / Dining: We only did the Buffet and the Steakhouse - can't speak for regular dining rooms. The Pinnacle Steakhouse was incredible! Wonderful food and service. It is definitely worth they extra money. The buffet food was OK. Because there were so many people it seemed a lot of the food was empty most of the time, and tables could not be cleaned up quick enough for the people who needed to be seated. The crew did their best -- just too many people. There were even people dressed for the formal nights who went to the buffet which to me is rather dumb if you can't wait until your dining time plus you take the chance of making a mess all over your good clothes but whatever....

Debarkation: Surprisingly this was pretty painless -- same as all the other cruises I have taken. We were in group 8 and started around 9 am and were out in no time.

Now to the painful part.... the fellow passengers (or the majority of them). Usually when you cruise there are a certain type of people you encounter. Usually most fellow cruisers have common sense and manners. There were a LOT of people on this cruise who made you wonder how they ever came up with the money to buy the cruise in the first place let alone buy any extras like drinks or excursions. This group of people made me wonder if the Human race even has a future or if we should start eating our young! The children were completely undisciplined and ran wild (and ran not walked everywhere they wanted). The parents were at the bars drinking and let the kids go crazy. The poor ice cream machine attendant in the buffet was pretty much mobbed every time he tried to put out cones or clean up the machine -- they literally pushed him out of the way. This was not just the children either. People did not hesitate to cut in front of you in the food lines or any other lines. We are outspoken and basically told them the line starts in the back -- NONE of them cared or were embarrassed that they were caught jumping the line! I have no problem if someone forgot a spoon or needs butter -- they usually ask if you mind if they go in front of you to get that and all is well. Not this bunch. I can't say but it seems all these people had blue key cards around their necks so I'm taking they were first time cruisers (it showed). I felt sorry for some of the older people who just looked horrified.

I don't think you can have a bad cruise if you love to cruise, but I will never cruise on a ship this large again. That is all I can think of as the reason this cruise is so different than any others we have taken. It wasn't cheaper for sure. Two words... CRUISE ETIQUETTE. Again I'm not taking about everyone as a lot of the people were great. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Panorama 1048

Cabin 1048 - Spa Balcony. beds plus couch that converts into single bed with drawers underneath. Lots of cabinet/drawer space. Mini-bar, safe, hair dryer, flat screen TV (few channels but nice), and usual stuff. Three closets large enough to stash 2 huge suitcases. Nice size bath with shower. Spa robes and slippers supplied as well as one set of spa bath and haircare samples. nice sized balcony. Overall it was very quiet.

We had 2 days in Cabo. It was beautiful and completely changed my opinion of visiting Mexico as I had only seen Cancun and Cozumel which didn't impress me. The people we encountered onshore were nice and friendly. My fiancee and brother did a canopy/zipline tour in Cabo through an external company and they loved it though it was quite physical. I can vouch for the beer -- 2 for $5 and yummy! When we pulled into port we saw what I guess was a "gunship" probably military circle around the ship. There were several guys with large guns, but they did wave to us! It made me feel surprisingly secure.

We went through Carnival and booked a whales and dolphins snorkeling cruise in PV. It was wonderful, and the tour company guys were fabulous. We saw many whales and many pods of dolphins -- just beautiful. We were in port most of the day but our tour was 5 hours so we were too exhausted to go back out. It is a gorgeous place, and you feel safe.