Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by budsamwalt: Your Vacation is What You Make It

budsamwalt
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Your Vacation is What You Make It

Sail Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

When we first arrived, we received a letter stating that many passengers on the previous sailing were afflicted with norovirus. This resulted in a delayed departure because they sanitized the ship before they let us board. Thankfully, the lady that checked us in gave us some great advice and told us to come back around 3:00. Boy, we're glad we did. That terminal was full of grumpy and frustrated people. Rightfully so, but these circumstances were out of our control and RCI was taking extra measures to make sure we stayed healthy. However, I think a small concession (free drink, perhaps) would have been a nice gesture.

Norovirus was still running rampant on our cruise as well, so there were many announcements about "nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea." We could have made a drinking game...take a shot every time you hear "diarrhea." We washed our hands so frequently, I was afraid I was going to come back after the week cruise with germophobia. My husband and I were fortunate not to More get sick. We avoided the Windjammer during the outbreak. In my opinion, I think that would be one of the more-likely areas you could pick up norovirus.

I think RCI provided a wide variety of activities on the sea days. I never got bored. We had an absolutely wonderful time, and came home refreshed.

I highly recommend the Mystery Dinner Theatre! Totally worth the $50 a head. The story-line was cute, and the meal at Portofino was outstanding.

Speaking of the food. . . this is where the cruise fell a little short. The food in Chops and Portofino was out of this world. Steaks were tender, shrimp was flavorful, and the presentation and service was impeccable. The dining room, however, did not meet my expectations. For instance, I ordered chicken marsala. What came out was not chicken marsala, unless you consider two fried chicken breasts with no sauce chicken marsala . . . One evening I ordered the coconut creme brulee. It was more like a flan. No crispy, sugary, topping.Don't get me wrong. There were some meals that were good. Just not great.

A cruise is more than food, though. It's what you make of it. We had delays getting there, delays leaving, and not everything went as planned. This could have really put a damper on things, but we chose not to let it. We had a great time, got lots of reading done, and enjoyed every minute of our cruise. I'm ready to go back. Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas 6590

Perfect location mid-ship, quiet, close to elevators, but not TOO close, bed a bit uncomfortable, curtains were replaced during our cruise the week of 12/11/2011, television needs upgrading (but who watches that much TV anyway...just bulky and gets in the way a bit).

This port was extremely clean and well-protected. I have never been to any of the other ports, but many people commented how this one was so much better. I agree. It was a great stop. We didn't do an excursion, but we did take the $15 trolley ride and saw a bit of Falmouth.
Read 479 Falmouth Reviews

Brewery Tour

(4)
The first stop was a brewery where they produce Caybrew and several other beers. The tour was very informative, and you get to sample plenty of beer. Stop #2 was the Tortuga rum cake factory. It was interesting, but not as good as the brewery. Stop #3 was at a Rum Distillery. We were particularly interested in the 7 Fathoms Rum because they actually let it age at the bottom of the ocean. The place was very small, but it's neat to see a couple of local guys producing a high-quality product. Good excursion if you like to drink!