Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by karn875

Celebrity Solstice
Member Name: karn875
Cruise Date: December 2011
Cabin Category: C2
See More About: Celebrity Solstice Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Warm weather but not a warm feeling from Celebrity!
This was my 7th cruise with Celebrity and unfortunately, not the cruise line I have come to know. My husband and I just returned from a 7 night cruise on the Solstice. While the Solstice is a beautiful ship, the service was seriously lacking. Our stateroom attendant never was around and had to remind her on several occasions of various needs we had. It was a Concierge Class room, although I was left wondering if she was aware of that. With that said, the room itself was great. The public spaces on this ship are nice. The dining room was not very impressive and the chairs were so big, it was hard to walk around. I think they wasted some space with Team Earth and the extra large library. However, how about a selection of online books for Kindles??

Now I should mention that this cruise started off on a bad note. They did not allow us to board until after 2 pm - apparently Celebrity contacted all the passengers but I never got a phone call or email. Then, once on board, they did not allow us in our rooms until 6 pm! They claimed that between customs being longer than usual (the ship just returned from Europe) and the norovirus, they had to clean. There was evidence that some rooms were not cleaned at all, but at the end of it, we missed the entire first day of our trip, Guess what - that just made the cruise even worse. The upstairs buffet area was unbearable because you couldn't even get your own coffee! Everything was served. No books in the library, no trays to use, hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE, no ice in the staterooms!

I also would like to know if there was an entertainment staff on this ship. There was barely anything going on - I spent an entire day at the pool and not one band, pool game, or trivia contest. I never saw the cruise director and the activities for the day centered around wine and lectures. The shows were also very mediocre. What was offered was a bit lame. I am wondering about this enrichment thing Celebrity is going for.

The Lawn area is nice, but they could do so much more with it. I would also add that the entertainment staff was not accommodating when wanting to play croquet outside scheduled times. The pool area was okay. There were plenty of chairs, but the lack of a children's pool made this area a bit hectic. There seem to be a lack of pool waiters when wanting a drink from the bar.

I only used the SPA once. Seemed fine but they push products way too hard. They wanted me to buy almost $400 of Elemis products after my treatment. That really bothers me when I am on vacation and just want to relax.

I am a Captains Club member and the events were not good. There is nothing ever going on and it really does nothing for me for me to remain a loyal Celebrity cruiser.

Overall, a disappointing cruise experience from Celebrity. Perhaps they should focus back on service and not building bigger and impressive ships.

Publication Date: 12/23/11