Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by jebl

Cruise Date: December 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: SO

Nice and relaxing
This was a 'Let's Get Away for our Anniv. and My Birthday' cruise. We did not plan on doing much except eating and drinking and relaxing.

The ship is in good shape for her age. Everything was kept clean. The Christmas decorations were lovely. Food was good, not great, but very good.

We had My Time Dining and chose to eat at the same table each night. Miguel our waiter from Mexico was wonderful. His asst. Dulce from Honduras was always on the ball with our wine orders and to keep the water glasses filled.

I just wish RCI didn't push you on the first day to make reservations. That defeats the purpose of My Time Dining. It just happened that this time we chose to eat each everning at 7PM.

Our room was laid out quite well for our needs. DH uses a small mobility scooter and sometimes it can be a challenge getting it in the room. Not so this time. I was able to back it up to the loveseat and it was out of our way. The bathroom is smaller than most other ships and storage is at a premium. There was plenty of storage space in the rest of the cabin. The beds are very comfortable and wer slept very well. Except for the last night when I kept waking up to check the clock afraid I would oversleep on disembarkation day.

We stayed on the ship the first day in Nassau. Been there many times. It was very, very windy that day. My friends said they had a hard time just walking around in town with the wind.

We did find a sheltered spot in the sun on deck 12 and read, people watched and dozed.

In all of my times to Coco Cay this was the first time we couldn't go ashore. The seas were too rough and the Captain would not take the chance on tendering in. I heard that the Monarch missed it the day before us. This put us into Key West a little earlier than originally scheduled which was nice. Of course with an unplanned sea day there were no loungers to be had anywhere on the pool or sun deck. We finally found two chairs on the promenade deck in a little bit of sun. It was a nice spot for reading and dozing.

At Key West we docked at the Westin Resort next to Mallory Square. It was great to get off the ship and be in the thick of things. No tram to take into town. We strolled Duval St for awhile and stopped for a Bloody Mary at the Mad Rooster. My advice is don't order one of these. It was absolutely vile tasting. And at $7.50 a pop. Not one of the 4 of us could stomach the drink. So back on board to the Schooner and Chris from Trinidad made us some great Pina Colodas to take the bad taste away.

The Schooner is one of our favorite places on all the RCI ships and this one did not disappoint.

One caveat for mobility impaired cruisers who use a scooter, walker or wheel chair. This ship has a real problem with the forward elevators getting to the Schooner, Casino and shops. Because of the 'tween' deck when you get off at five you must then go up about 4 stairs. The alternative was to get off at either deck 4 or 7 and go around to the glass Atrium elevator and go down or up one deck. Or we could walk all the aft and use those elevators. Since our room was just two away for the fwd elevatore this was a problem. Not insurmmountable just a pain in the neck.

I would recommend this for a first time cruiser. There were a lot on our cruise. I was also surprised to see so many International cruisers. I wouldn't have expected that on a short cruise like this. The children on board, about 230, were extremely well behaved. More so than any of my other cruises. Kudos to those parents. Of course we were 'raided by Pirates' one night in the dining room. I remember when my own grandaughter was one of them years ago. I enjoy seeing the kids have so much fun.

This was a Diamond in December cruise which gave us double credits!! We also received a gift of cookies and dried fruit and 2 bottles of water in the room. Also got a plate of chocolate covered strawberries, yummy and two very nice luggage straps, magnate pins and diamond shaped fridge magnets. Not a bad haul.

All in all we had a very nice time on Majesty and would cruise her again. We especially like cruising out of Miami.

Publication Date: 12/23/11