Disney Wonder Cruise Review by JetsCruiser

Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 5A
See More About: Disney Wonder Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+
        3-6 1.0

Ship Facts: Disney Wonder Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Wonder Deck Plans
Really, Disney?
Traveling for me is a favorite hobby for me. Now that I have a 3 year old daughter I am traveling "Kid Style" now in full force. No more adult type vacations for me for awhile. So, I am trying to find that vacation WOW for my family to enjoy. Needed my daughter to potty over the past Summer. Came up with a passport idea. When she filled her book up that is when I booked what I thought was going to be the ideal REWARD/Christmas gift of a lifetime for a 3 year old!

Oops...shame on me for believing in Disney. I do love Mr. Disney park's, but the seven sea's are not for a mouse and his cheese! I believe Mr. Disney would of saved AMTRAK with his name over a cruise ship any day. That being said it is time to be very real with my pro's and LOT's of con's.....

Pro:

L.A. is my city and how nice to be able to cruise out of it.

It's MICKEY MOUSE and Friends

Nice staff and some of the staff really shined like Tinkle Bell

AMAZING Broadway style show's that I believe save this cruise 100%

Great lounge singers fitting the stereo type.

Con:

The FOOD is so BAD that I was in utter shock! My kid and I got sick on the chicken strips. Should of known better since it was from Pluto's dog bowl.

You can use your imagination on what kind of sickness we had. After recovering I went after the forbidden fruit of trying the other food. Sound's fancy on the menu and looks fancy on the plate in the dining room. The minute you fork up your mouth is in a over load of what SCHOOL LUNCHES taste like. I understand the whole cooking for a Army. If Carnival is better, Disney watch out! How do you serve up that food with a smile? Loved that the last day and night this ship went over board with razzle dazzle we really can cook up a yummy storm for you to forget about 6 days of blah tasteless lukewarm "food". I knew from my other cruises on different liners that food was the calling card. Since this is a park playing in a cruise ship maybe the FOOD memo got lost with Nemo. Breakfast buffet was a runny egg greasy fatty bacon with no meat dried out cheeses cubes with stale bread. When plain oatmeal is the better tasting food item over bacon and eggs that is a REAL problem in my book. Did I mention that was plain oatmeal. Pizza on any cruise should be banned. On the WONDER Pinocchio really lied about get it while it's hot. Thick cardboard crust with no flavored sauce or meaty pieces on top. Did the pineapple from breakfast get sliced on to the pizza with little specks of ham dust? Pass on those high calories. I so do not even want to know what is REALLY in the hot dog that my kid begged to eat over everything except that nasty goob of mac & cheese. The fries looked and tasted a day old. Who serves brown soggy fries?

Palo is overpriced! Ps. Palo food makes it way down to the buffet the next day. Save your money. If your a foodie DO NOT cruise on Wonder. You have been warned. No Ice Sculptors or Midnight buffet on this ship.

My room 8564 needs to be fixed up. Wish I could post the photo's on here. Don't tell me it's the older boat. I get that, but fix the broken things, switch out the nasty toilet seat, clean the stained walls and carpet. No mop was ever used on the bathroom floor. I actually took a towel and did it myself. I like CLEAN bathrooms. The public women's bathroom always had a floating guest around. Does anyone clean the public bathrooms on this ship. Bad enough seeing dirty cups lined in the hallways all over the place. Disney has a BIG STANDARD of clean living in the parks! Why not on the ship? The ship did not have that shine/buff clean look to it at all.

Mickey pool for my daughter was perfect until the black tar like silicone on Mickey's ear's rubbed on to my daughters face and arms making it hard to clean off. Why is that stuff rubbing off on the little kids? It's toxic, Disney! The family pool is tiny and the adult pool is the only decent pool on board with the best loungers that are nicely cushioned.

Spa was nice with no high pressure sales after treatment. No robes or slippers in the lockers was a bummer. Had to stay in my clothes before a message is not so comfy when you have to wait in a relaxing area. Prices are still criminal for the average service. Port days are cheaper as always.

The reason I was on Disney Wonder was for the KIDS entertainment. LONG lines to snap that picture with a Princess or the Mouse with friends. Give me a break! The website makes it seem like Snow White is laughing with your daughter, Cinderella is coming by your table or whatever character you can think of is bouncing all around to delight your child or your freaky Disney infatuation . If I wanted my 3 year old in front of a t.v. I could of kept her home. The Oceaneer club for her age group was a total bust from the 2nd day. Not enough Princess dress's to go around, not a lot of interactive role playing or character playing in this clubhouse. Oh, I am sorry the last day at sea to impress everyone is the full day of fun with Belle coming to read, making a Belle rose petal in a paper cup, stage show with all the kids ready to perform for you and tons of things to make a kid happy (finally). The staff is super nice and kind. I just think the imagination is gone to know how to entertain a kid without a tv or computer screen. I will say the BEST age group for this Disney cruise is 6-10. Not great for under 6 or over 11. The teens were zombies on this ship. You would just see them walking around all the time looking like a suicide watch should take place. I felt bad for those teen girls and guys. This is NO MILF cruiser. Lot's of Overweight or burned out parents on this voyage. Well, I did see 2 mom's with floatation devices, ink on the lower back above the bikini bottom and trying hard to look like the teen daughter. Just a lot of people stuffing the face with soft serve it yourself ice cream looks of boredom at the Mickey/Family pool with sound blasting LOUD over the speakers for the movie of the day. Volume control anyone? Geez... If you think this is a relaxing cruise for you with a kid. No Such thing! Kids can't stand the oceaneer's club after an hour. Check it out and you'll see the melt downs. Parents rushing in with the text message cell phone from 1998 era. I had to bribe my kid to be good all day to give me and the hubby a little break with a Pricey reward from the gift shop. $17.99 for a plastic silver tiara that lights up. Give me a break, Disney. Really, $18 for a head piece that breaks so fast? UGH! Smart to not buy into that cheap made item. Found some things under $15 to bribe with. The t.v. in your room is on a HEAVY loop of the same cartoons, movies, ABC channel or cruise channel over and over. We all know that could be changed, right? How hard is it to update the tv tape machine player?

Over all the food, characters and kid club was the BIGGEST disappointment for us. Do have to say Captain Fabian was handsome and very friendly to my husband and I asking if everything was fine. Really nice man that cares. Disney won with having him! I just feel like Wonder is the lost child in a big family that everyone has forgotten about since the focus is so FANTASY driven right now for Disney. Think it's time to put away this ship for good. Really show's no one cares for her anymore. Very sad considering you're paying a lot for that Disney Wonder of being free with your dreams coming true on the sea.

Save your hard earn money for FANTASY! That I hear from Captain Fabian is going to be AWESOME!!!!!

Publication Date: 12/20/11