Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by wkelly5688: Epicis beautiful but won't go again

wkelly5688
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Epicis beautiful but won't go again

Sail Date: December 2011

Cruise notes
Sat. Arrived at port at 11:30ish. Embarkation was smooth. On the ship before noon. Walk on at the casino! Walked around getting the lay of the ship. Rooms ready about 2. Luggage arrived around 3. We met Sonia our room steward and she called us by name! She showed us the room features.
Had drinks on the pool deck. Mojito was very refreshing but a lot of mint. Sailed away standing on the balcony. Had a late lunch at O'sheehans. Wings and spinach dip were good. Diane had fish and chips -good also. Saw Blue Man group at 7. Good show. The Twinkies part was a little long. Thinking of paying 100+ dollars to see this in Vegas made me glad I saw it on the ship. It was good but not knock your socks off good.
Had a late night snack in the Garden Cafe. Pizza and salad. No decent deserts so we went back to O'sheehans . Diane had the brownie and i had apple pie served cold with whipped cream. Both were good. Turned in early. Wind was howling, seas More were white capped and the ship was rocking.

Sunday
Wind still howling at 20 knots and ship going at 20 made 38 knot relative wind.
Had coffee on the balcony. Bath rooms are not bad at all. Plenty of room and you can not see through the doors. Didn't go out side at all. Hung around the ship. Had lunch at Taste. Club Sandwiches. Diane had corn and potato chowder - good. I had summer rolls. - also good. Watched Pittsburgh kick butt on Cincinnati on the big screen in the atrium. Booked massages for 5:15. Went to the Spa on the 14th deck and the ship was still rocking. They took us to a little room to wait and Diane got sick. Had to reschedule. Went back to the cabin and after a while she was better. All of the good restaurants were booked and the menu at Taste wasn't good so it was back to O'sheehans. I had chicken finger app and a cobb salad. Diane had the chicken pot pie and it was excellent as advertised! Walked around the ship. Diane played some in the casino. I went back to the room and checked out the daily. Wanted to book Cirque Dreams for tomorrow at 5:15 but it was booked. Checked other days and the only openings were Tuesday at 5:15 - premium seating only and Thursday at 9. Booked Tuesday.
Ship was still rocking. Later went to garden cafe for desert. No cakes with icing and no cookies. I had a crepe with apples and whipped cream. Very good. Diane had pound cake and ice cream. So so. Back to our room. And turned in around 10.

Monday
Woke at 7:30. Wind had laid down and Hispaniola was going by outside. Had coffee on the deck from room service. Was neat to watch the rain and clouds between the ship and island. Got a few picks. Then back inside being lazy. Diane went back to sleep. I went to the pool deck to read for a while. Had lunch at the buffet. Muffaletta was very good. Missed the wine tasting. Finally got the hot stone massage and it was good but we have had better. Gave me Diane's hand at the end. Very nice. Then it turned into a sales pitch for the spa products. Kind of ruined the experience.
Bingo didn't go so well. Diane was waiting for 3 numbers for ever on the cover all but it didn't work out. Diane did a slot tournament and finished highest in her group but not high enough to qualify.
Dinner at Moderno was an experience. Salad bar was great. They bring all 10 kinds of meat around to your table one at a time. It was all good but the pork rib and beef rib were the best. We didn't make it to the chicken or desert. Sides were brought to the table in 4 small bowls - mashed potato, black beans which Diane loved, rice,and fried banana(not good). They serve grilled pineapple to help digestion. We also had a bottle of wine. Ate way to much and all that meat sat heavy on my stomach.

Tuesday
Woke at 6:30 pulling into port at St Martin. Ship did a 180* pulling into port and docked on our side. Had coffee and breakfast on the balcony. Grand princess was docked cross from us. Off to meet Joyce Prince for or tour at 9 with new friend Bonnie, Gary, Meena, Keith, and some others. Joyce took us to the top of a mountain for pictures then through the town and country side. Stopped at a souvenir shop. Bought an island Tee shirt, and shot glasses. Then stopped at her friends rum and spice shop. I bought a hot chutney and Diane had a really good island drink. Then to Orient beach- clothing optional. Kinda strange. The man posing by the sign was weird and the ones with no clothes on should have had clothes on!
Then more countryside. French side was a lot bigger than Dutch. Joyce took us to a friend's place for lunch in Marigot. I had wings that were just OK. No body else seemed to really like their food. $123 for 9 to eat and drink wasn't bad but I get the feeling Joyce was catering more to her friends than to her customers. Made it to Maho beach to watch the planes land. I missed the first two landings because of the camera shutting off. Got a couple taking off. Intermittent rain was strange in that the sun was shining. Finally got the shot I wanted......the Air France 747 landing right over our heads. That was the highlight of the tour for me.
We lucked up and caught the road construction traffic moving in our direction and made it back to the port an hour early. Shopped a little then back to the ship and changed clothes for Cirque Dreams. The show was very good, the food was just average. Sat with couples from Florida, north Carolina, and a single gentleman from Oregon. Had to get the premium seats because standard was sold out. That turned out to be great. The performers were so close you can reach out and touch them!
Went the 9 show of Second City. It pretty much sucked. There was one funny skit where the guy was blowing up the "doll". Don't recommend is one.
Had the brownie for desert at O'sheehans. Best desert on the ship.
Then went to the magician show at 11. This guy was great. One of the top three.
Cut that guys $100 bill out of a lemon that had been laying on stage all night. Bonnie got to check the rope and Gary went on stage. Gary drew a picture of a tree and somehow the magician reproduced it. Finally turned in at midnight 30.

Wednesday
Room service woke us at 8. We were already docked at St. Thomas. Our ship was backed into the dock at Havensight with just the back half of the ship at the dock. Disney Magic was at anchor beside us. A rainbow was stretched across the bay for a long time. No big plans for today.
Got off the ship and walked to the tram to Paradise point. $21 per person. Ouch! Decided to do Diane's shopping downtown. The girl at the CS desk told me it was within walking distance. It was....2 miles! Finally got there and it was a neat old city. Narrow streets, alleys, and hidden stairways. Diane bought tablecloths and shirts and jewelry .....most for Christmas presents. Bought herself a necklace and one for Jenni.
I bought a shirt, shot glass, and a back scratcher for Karl. We had lunch at Cuzzins, a local Caribbean place. It was authentic and good. I had jerked pork, peas and rice, mac and cheese, stuffing made from sweet potato, and fried banana. Diane had a veggie plate that had a white sweet potato. She didn't care for it. Caught a taxi back to port - $10. Driver said 6 ships were in port. I only saw four big ones and one smaller one but it was very crowded.
Had a few hours to kill on ship. Did the sail away and finally found the cookies! I went back to the room and took a short nap, Diane played slots and won $100.
Saw Legends at 7- Steven Tyler, Gaga, and Elvis. It was a really good show! One of the top three.
Went to Taste for dinner. Had a short wait so they gave us a pager and a voucher for bubbly. Bubbly sucked. We were seated in about 10 minutes. Oscar from the Philippines was our waiter. I had Smoked Salmon Tartar, and Mahi Mahi with strawberry cheesecake for dessert. It was all good. Diane had broccoli soup, pork medallions, and lemon cake with blueberry sauce. We finished our bottle of wine and started another. Spent some time in the restaurant with Don and Cheryl friends from home who just happened to be on the same cruise. Stuck our heads in Howl at the Moon but wasn't impressed from that short take. Went back to our room and found a mouse under the blanket!

Thursday
Open sea sailing. Seas fairly calm but this ship continues to rock. Had coffee on the balcony at 7:30. Watched these little fish skimming the surface away from the ship. Showers and O'sheehans for breakfast. Diane And I had corned beef hash and eggs. We have had better.
I watched the guy make fruit animals in the atrium. He was very talented. I had sushi for lunch - yellow fin tuna sashimi and a godzilla roll with hot sake. Liked the fish but didn't care for the sake. I Went to a "Eat more to weigh less seminar" and It turned out to be about balance and toxins. It made sense but was just a sales pit for some algae supplement they sell.
Had a late lunch with Diane at the buffet on the pool deck. Burger and fries were so dry i couldn't eat them.
I played in a black jack tourney. Needed $5200 to qualify. I had $6800 with 2 hands left and no one else at the table. I started betting the minimum thinking I was in. Then found out they take only the top 7 scores to the finals. I lost out.
D was in the bingo place for the cruise drawing. We did not win.
Had a headache and shoulders hurting so went to the room to relax.
Was meeting Diane back at Teppanyaki at 6:15 for dinner. At 6:30 she still had not showed so i went looking and found her at her usual place. She thought it was for 7. We were late and got seated behind the cook as punishment. D had the filet and i had filet and shrimp. The cook was very friendly and talented. He had studied in the Philippines and had cooked in Bahrain and other cities around the world. The food was very good. Best on the ship! I was still not feeling well so went back to the room around 8:30. Everything downstairs was so crowded you could not move. Not sure why.

Friday
Woke at 6:45. Went to breakfast at the buffet at about 8. Finally found the jogging track and shuffle board hid on deck 7. Bought shirts in the $10 sale at 10:00 - what a zoo that was! Back to the room and took a shower. Then walked up to the bridge and watched them bring the ship into dock. It was VERY tight fit to the port entrance and once we got in, they did a 180* turn and backed he in beside Disney Magic. Fed the seagulls cookies. We went to lunch at the buffet and then walked to the straw market. Bought a mask from a carver and probably paid too much. D bought t shirts and i bought boxes for Virginia and Gail. Then we caught a taxi to Atlantis. D played some slots and I took some pictures. Didn't stay long. Taxi back to the ship.
Had Dinner at Cagney's and was really disappointed in both the service and the food. We had a really nice dinner in Cagneys 3 years ago on Pearl but not this time. Spent the evening in the casino. Broke even.

Saturday
Back in port at Miami at 6:45 am. People were walking off the ship at 7:15. We went to breakfast at the buffet at 8 along with the other 3,999 people left on board. Getting off he ship was a little different than getting on. The line for exiting ran in front of the elevators so people could not get out or get to ytheend of the line when the doors opened. Still, it only took about 15 minutes to debark and get through customs.

Eoic is a beautiful ship with great entertainment and good food. So much to do, you cannot get to it all in a 7 day cruise. I stayed lost he entire week on the ship. The layout is kinda strange with elevators only at each end. Also, i think the square design of yhe ship contibutes to the rockng motion. We thouroughly enjoyed the cuise but don't think we will go on Epic again. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 12165

Large balcony due to the "bump out". Room is a little tight. Sofa is worthless except as a place for a third person to sleep. Bathroom, sink, and frosted doors were not a problem for us. Plenty of storage. Nice lighting. Comfortable bed. Shower was nice.

Dirty, smelly, and felt hasseled b the locals.
Read 2666 Nassau Reviews

Dissapointed. No vey pretty. The entire island seemed to be in need of repair and grooming. Friendly, helpful people.

Beautiful city. Did not go to any beaches. Vey friendly and helpful people. Would go back again.
Read 2342 St. Thomas Reviews