Dawn Princess Cruise Review by random_australian

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Dawn Princess Cruise Review by random_australian
Dawn Princess
Dawn Princess
Member Name: random_australian
Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Cabin Category: J
Cabin Number: D718
See More About: Dawn Princess Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+
        7-9 4.0
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Dawn Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Dawn Princess Deck Plans
Great fun, but now we're done
I traveled on the Dawn Princess with my father and my son. The staff in the children's center accommodated my son's special needs well and that part went really well.

The food was great and I really appreciated the effort that they made for my son, the "Chicken Fingers" he had for dinner both nights in the MDR were obviously of high quality (better than the chicken-nugget type meals he is used to when eating away from home) and they once made him a special dessert when nothing on the menu appealed (I nominated the waiter for employee of the month).

I get the impression that the Dawn Princess isn't run to support child centered vacations. The child center is great (the staff are really good), but it's not enough. If I was to take my son on multiple cruises on the same ship I would aim to only have him in the child center for an hour or two a day. That would require more entertainment options for children. Ideally this would include a daily pantomime show, at least one child movie on the outdoor TV screen, and games in the ship.

One big problem I had was that the "Princess Patter" advertised "Goofy Golf" but didn't mention it was 16+, that was a big disappointment for my son and for some other kids. I would rather cruise on a ship where such games were run for children, and anything that could involve disappointment for children should be clearly described.

The feature act was James Galea's magic comedy show "I Hate Rabbits". It was great, my son and I saw it twice.

We all totally enjoyed the voyage and definitely got value for money, but I think that if we did it again my son would get bored. Based on this experience I have a generally positive view of Princess for short voyages and would be happy to do the same trip on a different class of Princess ship. But I'm not planning any longer voyages with Princess.

Publication Date: 12/19/11