Dawn Princess Cruise Review by random_australian: Great fun, but now we're done

random_australian
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Dawn Princess Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Great fun, but now we're done

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

I traveled on the Dawn Princess with my father and my son. The staff in the children's center accommodated my son's special needs well and that part went really well.

The food was great and I really appreciated the effort that they made for my son, the "Chicken Fingers" he had for dinner both nights in the MDR were obviously of high quality (better than the chicken-nugget type meals he is used to when eating away from home) and they once made him a special dessert when nothing on the menu appealed (I nominated the waiter for employee of the month).

I get the impression that the Dawn Princess isn't run to support child centered vacations. The child center is great (the staff are really good), but it's not enough. If I was to take my son on multiple cruises on the same ship I would aim to only have him in the child center for an hour or two a day. That would require more entertainment options for children. Ideally this would include a daily pantomime show, at least one More child movie on the outdoor TV screen, and games in the ship.

One big problem I had was that the "Princess Patter" advertised "Goofy Golf" but didn't mention it was 16+, that was a big disappointment for my son and for some other kids. I would rather cruise on a ship where such games were run for children, and anything that could involve disappointment for children should be clearly described.

The feature act was James Galea's magic comedy show "I Hate Rabbits". It was great, my son and I saw it twice.

We all totally enjoyed the voyage and definitely got value for money, but I think that if we did it again my son would get bored. Based on this experience I have a generally positive view of Princess for short voyages and would be happy to do the same trip on a different class of Princess ship. But I'm not planning any longer voyages with Princess. Less

Read more Dawn Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Dawn Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Dawn Princess Interior Double Dolphin Deck D718

Interior cabins are advertised as being really dark at night, IMHO this makes them better than cabins with windows. Unfortunately the cracks around the door admitted quite a bit of light which was a disappointment. I'm taller than most people and I found the bed to be too short and the table at the end of the bed which prevented my feet from extending over the end made it even less comfortable. If I was travelling with my wife and the bed was in a double configuration it would probably have been OK, but in the twin-single configuration it's not good for tall people. In the main part of the room there is only one power point and it's below the TV. This is inconvenient if you want to charge a phone overnight and also use it as a torch during the night. Ideally every cabin would have a power point within reach of every bed.