“Elation was not elating”
Cruise review of Carnival Elation

jpierce1979 Carnival Elation 4 Elation was not elating
jpierce1979
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
I have been on 2 cruises. The first was out of Galveston and it was in May. I traveled with 11 people, 6 children, 5 adults. We drove down from Nebraska. I remember the crew members, maitre di's, the bartenders, everyone being super, super friendly and helpful. They had smiles for everyone and would go out of their way to help or to say hi. I remember the food being excellent, the steak thick and juicy, and there was always food available. I remember the guests being happy and smiling and just a great groove on the entire ship. That was in 2010 on the ecstasy. The ship I just debarked was the elation and it sadly did not compare to the ecstasy. The food was bland, tough and dry. The steaks were always cut at 1/4 inch thick. That's right, a quarter of an inch. Maybe I am just a spoiled Nebraskan in the heart of cattle country and maybe new Orleans simply has their steaks made lke that. In comparison to a ship leaving out of glaveston, Texas another cattle state that would have known to keep the steak thick and juicy. The baked potatoes were always dry and hard. I was hungry on a cruise ship. Even the hamburgers were dry and bland. I lived on the mashed potatoes and cheese. The waiters on the ecstasy were knowledgeable whenever we asked questions about the food on the menu, but when we had questions about the food on the elation we got blank stares and no opinions or answers. We got nothing. Our tablemates asked how fresh the lobster was and the waiter just stared at her. If anything, he could have just said he is not sure but it is delicious or say something, anything. Our tablemate finally said, 'I guess that means its not good so I won't get the lobster. The crew in general seemed disheartened and sad. (Like I said, maybe its the time of year and Xmas being so close and far from their families) whenever we engaged the crew in conversation, they were always personable and suddenly became very chatty and friendly. Its like they were waiting for permission to talk. We overheard one of the security guards tell the buffet crew to shut down the buffet. The kitchen crew responded that it wasn't 6 yet. The guard barked with 'I don't care. Shut it down anyway.' The ecstasy the guards smiled and would sit down wit h y daughter and were quite friendly. The guards on the elation walked the ship with frowns and paced back and forth. They made us feel nervous. Was the a reason they were pacing the ship? Was there alot of crime onboard? Should I be worried about my safety? The guards wouldn't help with any information. The stewards would always say hi and were super duper friendly. The camp carnival was nice and remembered Josie. The stewards also knew and remembered each of our names. The spa people were amazing. We did a couples massage and the girls were so wonderful. The fun force team was hilarious. Loved them! If I had known the food was going to be so difficult to eat, I would brought more of my own food to eat.
Carnival Elation Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Ocean View

6Er145
We had great stewards that kept our rooms clean. The shower head kept coming out of its holder, which was bad because it scared you and got everything wet, but good because it meant the water pressure was WONDERFUL!

Port
I spent my extra money on a couplex massage so I didn't take an excursion. We did do shopping. We got an amazing deal on some boots. I couldn't believe how much the guy came down in price as we walked out of the shop. Cozumel also had a small 'beach' area with palm trees, hammocks, lawn chairs and white sands. It was wonderfully relaxing. Cozumel is so beautiful!
Read 4,594 Cozumel Reviews
Port
We went to uxmal for our excursion. The bus ride was long. And we sat at the back of the bus and it smelled like urine because we were next to the bathroom. We paid $20 for a special Mayan calendar for our wedding date. We had to give the tour guide our information when we got out at uxmal and he gave us our calendar when we got back to the ship. Uxmal pyramids were AMAZING! I think better that chitzanitcha because it has beautiful decor on the temples but is only about a mile long, so you don't have so much walking but still alot of great sights. The tour guide said he was 100% Mayan. He had SO much information to provide us and it was all very interesting.
Read 367 Progreso Reviews
Published 12/19/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Elation Review
Carnival Elation Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?