Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by 2flacruisers

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by 2flacruisers
Liberty of the Seas
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Liberty of the Seas - November 2011
Let me begin by saying that we have cruised with RCCL 14 times. Each cruise in itself was wonderful, with no complaints.

We drove to Ft. Lauderdale, as we live in Florida and arrived at the port at approximately 12:00 noon. After a lengthy wait, were on the ship at 1:10pm. My husband and I traveled on this cruise with his elderly mother, who was in a wheelchair, and I would say we would have gotten on board earlier if not for this fact.

This ship is absolutely beautiful! I saw nothing out of place and all venues we visited were clean, including the Windjammer Cafe. It was a bit hectic at times, but there just about 4000 passengers on board, so this was expected. No complaints here. Food options were plentiful and up to par.

We made it to our room at about 1:15pm. Our room was as expected as I had done plenty of research prior to booking. We had aft cabin 7408. Room nice size and did not feel cramped, even with the third person and wheelchair. Here, lies the only problem we had....as I proceeded to the balcony, I was astounded to find that we had only 2 chairs, no loungers, as were expected. The balcony, is indeed, large. We tracked down our room steward, and explained that we needed the extra chairs on the balcony because we had 3 in the cabin, one of which was my husband's mother. He told us he would have to ask his supervisor, which he did. He reported back to us saying it was policy that no balcony was allowed to house more than 2 chairs, even though the cabin would sleep 3. This didn't make sense to me, so I proceeded to Guest Relations, whereupon, the rep told me exactly the same thing. I found this to be absurd, but didn't argue the fact, and when on my way, unsatisfied as I may have been due to her answer. There will be more on this later.

We went on our way and proceeded to have as good of a cruise as we could have had despite the balcony dilemma. We saw Saturday Night Fever, which, in itself, was worth the cruise. Performers were professional and on the money. You should not miss it. The ice show and up in the air were great as well. The comedian was good and worth seeing.

We had traditional seating for dinner. Our Waiter, Val, was outstanding and did his best to meet all of our requests. Kudos to him! But, it saddens me to see the amount of people who don't show up for dinner the last night. I would only hope that they have their tips included in their cruise. The dining room staff work hard and deserve their just rewards at the end of the cruise.

Now, as for the aft balcony chair situation. Having accepted the Guest Relations rep's answer regarding the 2-chair policy, we made due with what we had. Then we docked next to the Mariner of the Seas in Cozumel. Low and behold, on each and every balcony on the aft, there were at least 2 chairs, 2 loungers and maybe a table. And these were on all the aft balconies, even the corner balconies that were our size and smaller. So, I am going to assume, that the 2-chair policy is only for the Liberty. Had I known, I would have changed our cabin to include one with a sofa bed, instead of a pull-man. You don't know how lonely a 10ft by 15 ft. balcony looks with only 2 chairs. And, yes, we probably could have brought 2 additional chairs up from deck 4, but I know that the housekeeping supervisor makes the rounds on occasion with the room steward, and we didn't want him to get into trouble.

We disembarked early as we did have a person in a wheelchair. This was a bit disorganized, but were able to get off the ship in a timely fashion. This is something that RCCL could improve upon.

All in all,it was a great cruise. Just a little bit disappointed in the balcony.

Publication Date: 12/19/11