Carnival Magic Cruise Review by CPLColeman: First timer on Carnival Magic

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

First timer on Carnival Magic

Sail Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

As first time cruisers the wife and I really enjoyed our 7 day cruise to the Bahamas. The Carnival Magic is a beautiful and very large boat. Embarkation was smooth and easy, we were on the boat within 20 minutes having my first drink at the atrium bar. The rooms weren't gonna be ready till 1:30 so we went up to the main deck to have some lunch at the buffet where they had plenty to choose from.

The food was ok. Once the room was ready we headed to our balcony stateroom #9318. I was pretty impressed with our room. It had a nice big comfy bed, decent room to move around. Since I smoked the balcony was a must! They had a couple of chairs and a table. At 3 we left for the cruise critic meet and greet at the aft tides bar. Only thing I didn't like about the bar there is that you have to drink beer out of a plastic tumbler that you can get at the dollar store so I never went back there after that. Dinner that night was in the Southern Lights dining room. The wife and I had a table More to ourselves but I would have rather been with a group. Didn't bother changing tables. The food I would rate a 8 out of 10. The service was great and friendly. The servers like to put on a little dance show and that was cute and sometimes humorous but enjoyable. Next I found what was to be my nightly ritual, the Blood Power Band. This group from the Phillipines was very, very impressive. Being a guitar player myself I had lots of fun every night talking with the band between sets. They had a wide veriety and all I can say is they are AWESOME!!I spent so much time watching the band the bartender there new exactly what I wanted every time I showed up. They also had the sushi bar in that area that opened up at 5:00 and quickly became part of the nightly ritual. Very fresh sushi and always good. The Red Frog Pub was my my favorite place to get a beer as they had my 2 favorite beers on tap, Heineken and New Castle. What made getting a beer there the best is that it came in a real beer glass. I ended up taking home 2 of each of the Heineken and Newcastle glasses (Don't tell Carnival!!! lol) The first formal night we had reservations at the Prime Steakhouse which was well worth the extra $30 per person. I had the New York strip and it was delicious!!

The taking of pictures everywhere at night got a little annoying towards the end and the pictures where pretty expensive. The room was always magicaly cleaned when we were out and about. The ship itself was always clean. All in all we had a terrific time on our cruise and are looking forward to doing it again as soon as possible. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Vista 9318

Went on the bottom fishing excursion booked through Carnival. Beautiful blue water and weather to match. Had a couple "Kaliks" waiting for the bus and did a little shopping. Boarded a bus for a 20 min ride to the fishing boat. Driver did a good job as a tour guide explaining things as we went along. Got to the boat and they had a spot to buy soda's chips or beer. I bought 3 Bahama brewed beer called "Sands". The boat was clean and not jam packed. We took a 15 to 20 min ride out to the spot where we started fishing. Almost everybody caught something except for a few (me included). Both fish I had on the line were too big and broke my line, but was exciting!!! My wife caught a really nice strawberry grouper. On the way back to the dock they set up 2 trolling lines and one guy caught a nice size barracuda. The crew of the "Hooked Up" did a great job finding fish for us and even let me smoke cigarettes in the crew station. I would definately do this again if I end up back in Freeport.
Read 775 Freeport Reviews

First port of call was Key West, Florida. It looks like a great port to do any type of water activities. Plenty of jet ski rentals and para-sailing but we didn't do any of that. My plan was just to bar hop down Duval St. Wasn't really impressed with this port of call. The weather was nice as it was in the 80's in mid November. The southern side of Duval had a very small beach but the water was cloudy and there was seaweed everywhere. Stopped into the Hogsbreath and the Bull and Whistle for drinks with the wife. Plenty of shopping if thats your thing.
Read 734 Key West Reviews

Went on the Blue Lagoon excursion booked through Carnival. It was a little bit of a walk to the boat that took us to the island as we had to cut thru the market they had set up. We sat on the upper section to get a better view. They had a bar that they opened as soon as we left the dock, a plus in my book, and I enjoyed a couple "Kalik's" on the ride. They played local music on the way out. Beautiful blue water and the scenery was nice once we left the channel. Blue Lagoon island was totaly awesome! The wife and I went to the back side of the island where it was nice and quiet. They had beach chairs so we lounged around for about an hour. Tickets for the lunch were $15 a person so I only bought one and the wife and I split a jerked chicken sandwich that was pretty darn good. We then went to the lagoon side and bought a couple tall fruity drinks that were also expensive!! $14 a pop but worth it to me. The island was beautiful, tropical and very serene. Water was cool at first but nice once you were in. Plenty of stuff for kids to do with inflateable water toys. Didn't do the dolphin swim but could watch people from a distance if you wanted to. On the ride back the captain pointed out houses of the rich and famous like Oprah, Tom Cruise, Chritina Aguilera and Nicholas Cage. Would definately go back and take this excursion again.
Read 2627 Nassau Reviews