Carnival Glory Cruise Review by pitbulLover

Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: pitbulLover
Cruise Date: December 2011

Mostly relaxing week on the Glory
My husband and I cruised on the Glory from December 4-11. It was my husband's first cruise and my second. I had previously sailed on Carnival, but it has been almost 8 years since I last cruised so I was basically starting out fresh. I am 25 and he is 28.

Embarkation: seemed easy and quick. We waited in line to check in since we didnt check in beforehand and it went smoothly. We were in Zone 21 boarding but got on in no time.

Ship: The ship was apparently refurbished in 2010, but it really doesnt seem like it. All the decor looks like it's from 1984. It's bright and tacky. The ship seemed relatively clean, except for our stateroom. The carpet looked like it had soaked in stains and the sheets were never actually clean - always hairs on them even after the sheets were supposedly changed. There were lots of different bars/lounges and places to hang out. Our favorite places were the Ivory bar (for reading/playing cards/quiet hang out)and the Colors Lobby. We also loved laying out on the top deck on the adult pool side. It's much quieter on that side and we never had any problem finding chairs.

Stateroom: We had an interior room on deck 7 towards the back of the ship. I loved where we were because the Lido deck (with all the food and the pools) was really close. It was also close to Kaleidescope Blvd which is the walkway to lots of other areas of the ship (on deck 5). The room was small but we did not spend much time in it anyway so it was fine for us.

Ports: The ports we docked at were Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk (Turks and Caicos). I really enjoyed these ports. We did not book any excursions.Please see port reviews.

Entertainment: There was one musician that we really enjoyed. The acoustic guitarist named Paul. He was a pleasure to listen to. All the others were just so so. The comedy club was great. Saw Will Marfori, Mark Simmons, Hal Spears and Joe Yannetty. 2 were hilarious, 1 was pretty funny and 1 was EH. The cruise shows were SOO lame. We went to one the first night and had to leave after about 10 minutes. It was too cheesy and awful.

Dining: The food is average and some things are above average. The pizza was practically inedible as was the sushi. Dont even bother with the sushi!! The buffet at Red Sail was good for breakfast, but thats it. The lunch options were gross. The best things for lunch are the deli (always had tuna on rye which was great) and the Mongolian Wok. I ate at both places several times and was always happy when I did. Ordered room service for breakfast one morning, wasnt worth it. The food for dinner in the main dining room (Golden restaurant) was fairly good. The soups were fantastic. My favorites were the Yukon Gold Potato and the french onion. The bread was the best. Ordered the warm chocolate melting cake every night for dessert - it's a must!! We did anytime dining and really liked that. Never waited more than 10 minutes for a table.

Complaints: Carnival is constantly trying to sell you STUFF. They are always on the loudspeaker (even at 7:30 AM!) telling you about their deals in the gift shop or the duty free shop. It was annoying. The photographers were the WORST. They littered the hallways and common areas and were very pushy. The photos are SO BAD too. So posed, cheesy, poor quality pictures. Just awful. And they literally asked every time we walked by if we wanted our photo. Their was always loud and obnoxious music being played throughout the ship. It was bad music too. Anywhere you went, they had it blasting. The only place that would turn the music down for us was the Ivory bar. The Colors Lobby usually had live music so it wasnt bad there either.

TIPS: Buy soda beforehand. Or while you are in port. The soda card is $50pp which means you have to drink 5 sodas per day for it to pay out. Who drinks that much soda?! We bought two 8 packs while in San Juan and that was way too much. Dont brother bringing duct tape, surge protector, over the door shoe hanger and all the other crap people tell you is necessary. Its not necessary. Pack exactly how you would if you were going to the beach for a week but bring an extra sweatshirt, pair of jeans and sweatpants as the ship can be cold. The dining rooms are very cold and the upper decks get cold/windy at night. There is enough room in the bathroom for your stuff, I promise you! If you come back from a port earlier than most, you will be able to enjoy the ship in its prime. It will be quiet, not crowded, no lines for food, privacy, etc. We stayed on the ship for most of the day while we were docked in Nassau and it was great. SNEAK ALCOHOL ON BOARD. It is so freakin easy. Buy a box of joe from Starbucks or Dunkin donuts (we just asked STarbucks for one and they gave it to us for free, without the coffee of course) then rip out the bag from the box and pour inside your liquor. Then wrap the bladder in a sweatshirt and place it in your suitcase. Voila! You have just snuck alcohol (a whole handle) on

the ship. Also, bring 2 bottles of wine in your carry on and drink it in your stateroom so you arent charged a corkage fee. Dont forget your corkscrew!

Favorite things: warm chocolate melting cake, sailing away from each port, mini golf on the top deck, Punchliner Comedy Club, popcorn on the Lido deck during movie time, newlywed show at the end of the cruise, Ivory Club, watching karaoke

Debarkation: We did self-assist even though we had a large bag and it was a great option. Instead of putting your bags outside of your room the night before you get back, you just keep them in your state room. The decks get called earlier than those doing the relaxed option so you get off the boat sooner and don't have to wait for your luggage at the baggage claim.

If you want to read my cruise recaps, please visit my blog - http://worriesandwisdom.wordpress.com/

Publication Date: 12/18/11