Ruby Princess Cruise Review by mngolfer

Cabin Category: AA
Cabin Number: D419

Ship Facts: Ruby Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ruby Princess Deck Plans
Mostly good!
Flew into Miami due to flight options and stayed at the Hotel Sofitel, very nice, great bar for food and drink. Shuttle to airport and then Princess transfer to the pier in Fort Lauderdale.

The line was very long, but moved along and we were on the ship and in our cabin by 1:30 pm.Cabin was very nice, we had D419, a mini-suite and thought it was well worth the price. The open balcony was a little strange, but we didn't care if people could look down on us. My wife loved the bathtub in the bathroom. Stateroom attendant was good and satisfied all of our needs and was always able to take care of the room when we were out.

The Piazza is nice, but I prefer the more open area that some of the other ships have. Loved the international cafe, the donuts in the mornings I think contributed to the 8 pounds I gained that week. Great lunch offerings. I am not sure why everyone complains about the coffee, I may not be an expert, but the coffee we got in the cabin in the mornings and at dinner at night was very good. I wasn't able to taste much difference between the paid coffee and the free stuff. The wine bar in the Piazza had probably the nicest server, always very helpful and pleasant and good with recommendations. The sushi and tapas was great. The martini bar had the best people watching. Since this was a Chumley Bear cruise there were some colorful characters and it sure seemed like they had fun. My only complaint was that their group completely took over the back pool and we were not able to use it at all during the week. Because of that I will not be cruising anytime a group of that size will be on a ship, whether they are the bears or not, nice people though!

The Sanctuary is a wonderful place. We got a day pass for one of the sea days and felt it was very much worth the extra expense. The attendants up there were fantastic. Always available for help with water, drinks, or food.

We had late assigned dining with a table for two. The food was good, but I would not say exceptional. Plenty of offerings and the service was very good. We did eat in Sabatinnis and would highly recommend visiting at least once.

The entertainment was good, not great. My wife loved the last show about the dream stuff, but due to some technical difficulties it was hard to follow. Didn't see any of the movies and the casino was rarely busy.

Ports, loved Princess Cay. Pretty much sat at one of the bars and listened to a 2 man band that was fantastic. Great drinks, great beach, and great music. Pretty much everything you need in a vacation.

St Martin, been there before so just shopped a little had some beer and lunch and went back to the ship.

St Thomas took the Champagne Catamaran tour to St John. Would do again in a heartbeat. Great time, great company and probably a little too good of Rum Punch. Snorkeling was pretty good and all around a great day.

Grand Turk, loved Jack's Shack. Strolled a little way down the beach and found a seat on the deck at Jack's and watched the wave roll in and tofur (sp) jump around. Had some good beer and the best Jerk Chicken I have ever eaten. Great day and will do again if we go back.

Debarkation was fine, since we had a late flight we were one of the last ones off and it didn't take more than 15 minutes. The worst part of the trip was that we rented a car from the Budget location by the pier and when the shuttle finally dropped us off they we waited in line for 45 minutes to find out they didn't have enough cars and had to get more. 2 hours later we were finally off to South Beach for lunch.

All in all a great cruise with just a few off parts. Will certainly cruise with Princess again!

Publication Date: 12/18/11