Island Princess Cruise Review by carma7007: Panama Canal- Island Princess R/T

Compare Prices on Island Princess Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Panama Canal- Island Princess R/T

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

We boarded in Ft.Lauderdale a bit later than anticipated. This was due to the U.S. Coast Guard boarding the ship and conducting a safety drill. Our ship was the only ship in port this day.
Once they were cleared to allow passangers, we were in Group 1 and went through the line and on the ship in under 15 minutes.

Our room was ready, and our room steward was waiting to introduce himself.

We immediately started to walk the ship and get a feel for things. We started with the Lotus Spa since it was closest to our room. We were the first ones to arrive and were given a tour right on the spot. They stamped my scavenger hunt card and we were on to the next.

The Bordeaux dining room was supposed to be open, but the staff did not seem to want to allow customers. I later found that some pushed the matter and were seated. I was not that lucky. The Horizon Court was packed, so I opted for pizza. It was great. I can tell you that the Bordeaux issue was More brought to the attention of one of the officers, and I believe it was dealt with.
We attended the sail away party where we won a bottle of champagne!

Day two our M&G met up and were delighted to have many of the ships officers attend as well. They stayed quite a while answering our questions and posing for photos.

Lotus Spa was nice. I enjoyed the seaweed wrap, but found the technician to be quite pushy to make another appointment. Almost felt trapped by her not wanting me to leave. Less

Read more Island Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Island Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Island Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Aloha Deck A617

Our cabin was just down the hall from the kids club. Since there were not children on my sailing I don't know how this would be if there had been. May be a deterrent for some and a good choice for others depending on if you are sailing with your kids. It is near the back of the ship, and on the 12Th floor. The main dining rooms are in the front of the ship, so you will walk quite a lot here. Very close to the aft stairs, and one floor below the Lotus Spa, the Sanctuary, and the gym. The Lotus Spa and the outside walk way are all that is above you. Enclosed balcony, very nice.

We walked around the port and enjoyed the sights. There were many areas decorated for Christmas. This port also has a Starbucks within walking distance to the pier. The shops were not open until around 10am, which with at early arrival was not great. So we did not shop much here.
Read 681 Aruba Reviews

We stayed on the ship. I did not hear many people enjoy this port. They said a lot of traffic and a lot of being asked for money.

Took the ferry from the ship at Gatun Lake thru the rest of the canal to Panama City. It took a few hours to make the transit. We had a nice lunch of chicken kabob, pasta, fruit and muffin. Soda and water were avaliable and beer was available for purchase. The ferry also sold trinkets on board. We were then bused back to the ship at Colon. Wonderful tour and very good tour guide.

We took a Rain Forest tour here. Our trip included a 2 hour each way bus trip to the forest, a gondola ride over the rain forest and then a nature walk. While we enjoyed the Rain Forest, I would have rather taken another tour that had the river trip as well. The folks on that tour saw much more wild life than we did. In fact we only saw a sloth, a frog, and some ants. The bus ride is long and tedious. Would not recommend. No time in port to view the outdoor sales that were set up by the ship.