Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by vincentjean: A good time on the Summit

vincentjean
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

A good time on the Summit

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

There were a number of issues which could have put a damper on our recent southern Caribbean cruise on the Celebrity Summit, but we still had a really good time. The ship is due in for refurbishing and did show its wear and tear and datedness. We had sailed on the Solstice in January, so there was a contrast. However, we did enjoy the size of this ship. We had a concierge balcony on the 8th floor which was identical to our cabin on the Solstice in size. The buffet area suffered the most in comparison as the Summit does not have the different, separate and easily accessible stations at which you can serve yourself and not be served from an attendant behind the counter. That said, the dinners were very good in the main dining room and exceptional in The Normandie specialty restaurant.

We enjoyed the entertainment very much, especially the Sirens show. The itinerary was what attracted us to this cruise, and we did enjoy going to the five ports included. We had rain every More day except the one day at sea, but it really didn't hamper anything as the temperatures were warm and we did get at least some sunshine each day. We snorkeled, swam, climbed and toured all over in light to heavy rain.

The staff, with the exception of our cabin steward and head waiter who were really nice and attentive, was very different than in past cruises. I heard remarks regarding this throughout the trip. I understand that waiting on a constant parade of weekly tourists cannot be enjoyable, but this was the first time in nine cruises I saw evidence of boredom and almost disdain from the staff. It didn't really bother me but it was evident. I wondered if working on an older, less modern ship was less interesting or exciting than a beautiful new and state of the art vehicle. Everyone got their job done, but it was with much less enthusiasm than I had experienced in the past.

However, my husband and I really had a great time with good tablemates, good excursions, good food, and good entertainment And I would definitely sail Celebrity again as we have the past three times. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Concierge Class Continental Deck (2) 8156

We were on the 8th floor in a concierge 1 cabin. It was identical to the cabin we had on the Solstice in January. It was somewhat small, but we love the balcony. It was toward the rear of the ship, quiet and pretty comfortable.

We just grabbed a cab tour on the pier. The driver was not knowledgeable and a terrible driver. Went to see the waterfalls and the lake and Fort Frederick. Not a very good tour but did see some beautiful parts of the island. Grenada is a very scenic port.
Read 356 Grenada Reviews

We had read that St. Croix was somewhat limited and that going to a beach was the best thing to do there. We took a taxi, but could have walked, to Sandcastles Beach where we paid $25 for two lounge chairs, an umbrella and two rum punches. The beach was nice, the ship was in view, and we enjoyed the time there.

Always my favorite of the islands. We took a shuttle to Megan's Bay and swam in the morning then went into town to shop. It rained very heavily all afternoon until sailaway.
Read 2326 St. Thomas Reviews