Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by Scharron: Not great, but not bad

Not great, but not bad

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

First, I want to mention that everything is personal, and that opinions vary from people to people but this is my opinion of this cruise on this ship. Having sailed with other cruise lines before (Royal Caribbean and Carnival), I was told that Princess was above these two. Maybe my expectations were too high to start, but in my opinion, Royal Caribbean is step above. My general feel is still "somewhat" positive though. Again, this is my experience, you can take whatever you like and leave whatever you like ... But I hope you'll find it useful.
The onboarding:
- My first contact with the princess crew was for the onboarding, and I must admit it was a breeze.
The rooms:
- My first opinion "Wo it's much smaller than other ship I made" (although same category).
- The MATTRESS!! This was the #1 disappointment on this cruise, it was so warped. When the next morning I went to put something under it, there was already a blanket and a pool towel there. If everyone More needs to fix it themselves, it's a sign.
- The sound proofing of the door and/ front wall is a problem; we could hear people talk, walk, etc. Since our room (A422) was very close to the elevator, often times people where still talking from when they were in them or talking when getting near them. We could also hear the attendant vacuuming the rooms close to ours very clearly every morning.
- The pillows are paper thin and when asked the stateroom attendant for more, all he had where others of the same size.
The room service:
- We ordered room service many times, for breakfast we had issues three times (out of 5); Missing utensils, missing bowls for cereals when it's not missing items or not getting the right items.
The staff:
- Most crew members are more "salesy" than on other cruise lines
- Besides one small episode at the front desk (not even worth mentioning), everyone was very courteous.
The ship:
- I usually find my way very easily anywhere, but I found the "flow" of this ship to be complicated finding our way.
- Although it looks like it being maintained, this boat is showing age (although still quite young) there was paint done near our balcony, but the paint job was somewhat sloppy (i.e. paint drips in the balcony's glass pane)
- The terrace Pool (located deck Riviera (14) at the back of the ship) is an adult only pool, but it's located SO close to the kids' pool (one level higher) that it's not the quiet place you expect.
The tours:
- We took some tours with the ship (3), they were mostly at par with others, although somewhat more expensive.
The food:
- The food was OK (I was expecting a little more)
- I enjoyed Sabatini's more than the Crown Grill
- There was no "wine package" to sell, which makes your cruise more expensive at the end if you know you're going to have wine at every meal.
Other:
- One thing I enjoy on a cruise is getting "dressed up" for formal nights. And I think it should be more "enforced" for the dining room and speciality restaurants. If you don't want to be dressed up, I am ok with you going to eat at the Buffet... The first formal night (Captain's gala) we saw someone walk into a Specialty restaurant (Sabatini's) in Jeans and T-Shirt. The Matre-D' let him in.
Overall I am 50-50 with this ship, as I said at the beginning, maybe my expectations were too high. I had a good time, but will I go again in a Princess, I'll think twice about it. In the meantime I'll be going on Royal Caribbean again. Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Aloha A422

- It seems to be a general comment throughout this ship: The mattress was awfull. - Hallway too noisy (and it's close to the elevator) - Balcony is great since it's covered from the rain (two levels up)

(5)
This was great, well organised, great staff, nice spot. Even though at our arrival at the site, we got dropped off in a dead end (most people didn't want to get off the bus) but it's because there had been a mudslide that took the road away. A short walk in the forest (which is actaully really nice) get's you to their new base camp. It's worth the price.
Read 1069 Reviews

If you plan on going to the beach, you can take a ab to Dickenson Bay and ask to be dropped at Sneaky Pete's Water sport Beach Bar & Grill. It's nice and clean and it will be much less expensive than the ship's tour.
Read 806 Antigua Reviews

We didn't book a Ship tour on this island. We just walked out and asked a cab driver to take us on a tour. We got Big Mac, he was great !
Read 706 Barbados Reviews

We took the Old San Juan and Bacardi Rum Factory tour; Once we got at Bacardi the tour was good but unfortunately our tour driver was SO hard to understand ...
Read 1376 San Juan Reviews

We went out of the ship, and asked the tourist info about Blackbeard's castle and Magens Bay Beach. We got told to go to Magens Bay first, then to do Blackbeard on the way back. We took a cab to the beach, stayed there a few hours, then asked for a cab ride to BlackBeard's castle, but it closes at 1h00pm ... So if you go, no need for a Ship tour, but if you plan to do Blackbeard make sure you do it in the morning
Read 2340 St. Thomas Reviews