Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by Scharron: Not great, but not bad
Overall Member Rating
Not great, but not bad
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan
First, I want to mention that everything is personal, and that opinions vary from people to people but this is my opinion of this cruise on this ship. Having sailed with other cruise lines before (Royal Caribbean and Carnival), I was told that Princess was above these two. Maybe my expectations were too high to start, but in my opinion, Royal Caribbean is step above. My general feel is still "somewhat" positive though. Again, this is my experience, you can take whatever you like and leave whatever you like ... But I hope you'll find it useful.
- My first contact with the princess crew was for the onboarding, and I must admit it was a breeze.
- My first opinion "Wo it's much smaller than other ship I made" (although same category).
- The MATTRESS!! This was the #1 disappointment on this cruise, it was so warped. When the next morning I went to put something under it, there was already a blanket and a pool towel there. If everyone More needs to fix it themselves, it's a sign.
- The sound proofing of the door and/ front wall is a problem; we could hear people talk, walk, etc. Since our room (A422) was very close to the elevator, often times people where still talking from when they were in them or talking when getting near them. We could also hear the attendant vacuuming the rooms close to ours very clearly every morning.
- The pillows are paper thin and when asked the stateroom attendant for more, all he had where others of the same size.
The room service:
- We ordered room service many times, for breakfast we had issues three times (out of 5); Missing utensils, missing bowls for cereals when it's not missing items or not getting the right items.
- Most crew members are more "salesy" than on other cruise lines
- Besides one small episode at the front desk (not even worth mentioning), everyone was very courteous.
- I usually find my way very easily anywhere, but I found the "flow" of this ship to be complicated finding our way.
- Although it looks like it being maintained, this boat is showing age (although still quite young) there was paint done near our balcony, but the paint job was somewhat sloppy (i.e. paint drips in the balcony's glass pane)
- The terrace Pool (located deck Riviera (14) at the back of the ship) is an adult only pool, but it's located SO close to the kids' pool (one level higher) that it's not the quiet place you expect.
- We took some tours with the ship (3), they were mostly at par with others, although somewhat more expensive.
- The food was OK (I was expecting a little more)
- I enjoyed Sabatini's more than the Crown Grill
- There was no "wine package" to sell, which makes your cruise more expensive at the end if you know you're going to have wine at every meal.
- One thing I enjoy on a cruise is getting "dressed up" for formal nights. And I think it should be more "enforced" for the dining room and speciality restaurants. If you don't want to be dressed up, I am ok with you going to eat at the Buffet... The first formal night (Captain's gala) we saw someone walk into a Specialty restaurant (Sabatini's) in Jeans and T-Shirt. The Matre-D' let him in.
Overall I am 50-50 with this ship, as I said at the beginning, maybe my expectations were too high. I had a good time, but will I go again in a Princess, I'll think twice about it. In the meantime I'll be going on Royal Caribbean again. Less
Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>
Cabin review: BCA422 Balcony
- It seems to be a general comment throughout this ship: The mattress was awfull. - Hallway too noisy (and it's close to the elevator) - Balcony is great since it's covered from the rain (two levels up)Read All Balcony (BC) Reviews >>
Port and Shore Excursions
Great Itinerary but very low l...
Cruise on Fascination
Fall Foliage or Not!!!
Sadly this will be my last tim...
NY to Quebec is an excellent i...