Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by jdechter: Fabulous Freedom Cruise

4,706 Posts

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Fabulous Freedom Cruise

Sail Date: December 2011

We arrived 2 days before this cruise to visit with the in laws in Boynton Beach. We returned the rental car to Alamo at FLL after dropping off the luggage and took their shuttle which took an hour as they stopped at numerous other ships along the way.

This was my 32nd cruise, first time Platinum on CCL. The lines to embark were long so I was lucky to have VIP embarkation. We walked right on after checking in and were able to get into the cabin, an oceanview on Main deck not too far from forward elevator. I was careful to pick this one but it was noisy nevertheless. Try to avoid 2296. The stateroom is spacious and I did was happy to be on a lower deck because we had some very windy days with some rocking which was minimal on our deck. Our cabin steward was adequate--we requested extra towels and hangers, the bed was comfortable, I brought extra adhesive hooks to hang bags, hats and wet bathing suits.

The ship is typical Carnival strangely laid out and the decor garish. More The pools were small for the size of the ship, the jacuzzis never very hot. There was always seating somewhere but of course the chair hogs took the A+ seats early. I enjoyed the steel band at the pool as some cruise lines just have piped in music now. The entertainment in general was boring. The Beatles show was surprisingly good though.

Best of all was the weather and the ports. We enjoyed Sapphire Bay at St Thomas, Valley Church Beach in Antigua and Jost Van Dyke in Tortola. Nassau the weather was cooler so we just walked around town and returned to the ship.

We had anytime dining and were dismayed by the very casual dress code. Honestly, shorts and flip flops at dinner?

Disembarkation began with constant announcements beginning at 6:30am. Are you kidding? Just not necessary. We were able to claim our luggage and make a 10:30 flight home but the airport was quite crowded.

We picked this cruise for the ship, price and itinerary and were satisfied. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Oceanview Main 2296

CCL Freedom 2296 6C Main Deck Noisy! Try to avoid. Spacious room not too far from the elevator but there is noise from some pipe or other we could never figure it out. Sounded like a dishwasher above our cabin although we were under the Promenade Deck.

Loved Valley Church Beach, easy to take the bus there on your own. Walking to the bus depot is a bit sketchy so be prepared. Easy to get a cab back, the beach is empty until 11 or 12 when tour groups show up. Great for shell collecting.
Read 802 Antigua Reviews

Seriously why do they stop here? It wasn't that warm but I did see the ships unloading tons of garbage here. Mystery solved!Just walked around town, not that interesting. A new straw market is being built. Same old stuff though.
Read 2629 Nassau Reviews

Always love stopping at St Thomas, been here many times. This time we went to Sapphire Beach. This was the 3rd time here and my husband insisted he had no memory of this beach. It was beautiful as usual the views are great, the sand is wonderful and the water was terrific. A perfect day. We walked around Havensight later in the day, not much has changed there.
Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews

Really enjoyed our day at Jost Van Dyke. we took the ship's tour because my husband has some mobility issues and their excursion ran right from the dock. Would have enjoyed more time there. Returned to Tortola and had time to visit Pussers for a drink.
Read 501 Tortola Reviews