Pacific Jewel Cruise Review by pearlsz: A great escape from the everyday

pearlsz
Member Since 2011

Cabin Not Rated

A great escape from the everyday

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

We were 1st time cruisers so I can't make comparisons, but there's no need because we thought the Pacific Jewel was great. A few highlights:

Service - staff were ALWAYS polite, friendly and well-informed. Not once were we fobbed off or rushed when we had questions. Everyone we spoke to seemed to enjoy doing their job. Everything was micro-managed so that we never waited more than 1/2 an hour to disembark or return, even on tenders. Amazing organisation.

Being at sea - I loved being on the ocean, the roll of the ship and the fresh (sometimes very fresh - it was cold!) air

Entertainment - what a talented crew! I went to every show and enjoyed them all. Also went to dance lessons, trivia, bingo...something for everyone.

Food was very good at the Waterfront - service from our wine waiter Christian and waiter Roshan excellent. Food at the buffet was not quite the same standard but still good.

A few things we found underwhelming:
Cost of the More Internet!
Prices at the spa were ridiculous.
There were a lot of sessions that were really sales pitches - for detox products and the like.
Behaviour of some other passengers - cutting in queues and taking food from the buffet with their fingers (yuck).
Only one laundrette for 1900 passengers!

Unexpected pleasures:
It was so easy to meet people.
Walking the length of the ship several times a day going here and there - great exercise.
Changing for dinner - I expected this to be a chore as we're pretty casual, but we found it made a nice contrast to everyday life.

Overall: I'd always wanted to try a cruise and enjoyed it very much. However we did find 13 nights a bit long. For a first-time cruiser I'd recommend a shorter cruise. Less

Read more Pacific Jewel cruise reviews >>