Zaandam Cruise Review by cjsandfs

Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Cabin Category: D
See More About: Zaandam Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Zaandam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Zaandam Deck Plans
sailing all the way home
This was a good way to get home and see some places I had never seen for less than a one way business airfare.

I enjoyed the many sea days but didn't find any ports I wanted to go back to.

Food and service was good, excellent most of the time. The chef, Jock, was great, and so patient.His cooking demos were a highlight.I also enjoyed meeting the onboard florist.Fascinating and so modest.

Some of the entertainment, [Xu Pingxin the dulcimer player,and Matilda and Patrick, the ventriloquist act,] was world class.We also had a good flautist, a violinist and a juggler who coped well with rough seas.

The comedians were forgettable and the Zaandam dancers reminded me of high school musicals.Oh dear.

I had a few problems with my cabin. It was a good size for a single but should have carried a 'beware of the noise' warning. I picked D6102 for the view and didn't realise that there would be a total lack of soundproofing from the theatre below.

Hal handles solo cruisers well. I never booked for dinner in the Rotterdam, just turned up and was seated with various interesting fellow cruisers.I have to confess to a return visit to the Canaletto by myself so that I could eat all the candy floss they serve with coffee.

Publication Date: 12/13/11