“Yes We Have No Bananas?”
Cruise review of Holland America Westerdam

Boz12 Westerdam 4 Yes We Have No Bananas?
Boz12
Member Since 2011
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This was the first time this ship had been on this itinerary However, another ship for this line has. I can understand how running out of some perishables as they did with bananas and romaine lettuce. But staples such as peanut butter and pancake syrup? General: Food, entertainment and day time activities. Room: Clean, appropriate size and the service was excellent. Dining Room: We chose the "anytime" dining. However, don't expect to get a table for two. First I was told there weren't any tables for two. Wrong. Then I was told those at tables for two made their reservations a year in advance. One of the head chefs told me I could get around this by making a reservation for six and we could sit alone at the table. Being hearing challenged, dining with several conversations going just isn't fun. Waiters carefully park passengers' motorized carts, wheel chairs, walkers and canes. However they need to realize the Americans with Disabilities also covers deaf people as well as the crippled. I mentioned this to appropriate staff; however no accommodations were ever made for us. In an effort to appease me, a plate of chocolates was sent to our room. By the way, the dining room is not as relaxing as the Lido. Why? There must be a shortage of help as waiters were always rushing around. We only had breakfast in the dining room once--it took nearly 10 minutes to get our first cup of coffee. Again a case of the waiters sprinting around. Lots of tables for two at breakfast. My suggestion: Eat at the Lido. Get what you want when you want. The waiters were friendlier and the food was the same as the dining room. Gluten Free: After completing a form prior to departure, I was told gluten free products were only available in the dining room. Wrong. The Lido café always had gluten free breads and muffins. The cooks were always willing to make sandwiches or French toast using gluten free bread, besides plain toast. When I asked for gluten free in the dining room they looked at me like I had three heads. Shore Excursions I tried to reserve shore excursions before the trip but they were all "wait-listed." Don't bother with their trips. We took several shore trips from independent agents once we got ashore at much better prices. Library: One of the best libraries I've seen--great selection.
Westerdam Cruises to the South Pacific
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Standard Interior Stateroom

Port
Went on a tour with a local vendor which was less expensive than Holland's offerings. Tour was great. It's an okay island but lacks upkeep.
Port
Easy to get around. Lots to see and due. There's a trolley ride (hop on and off fare good for two days) we wanted to take but was wait listed by Holland. Could easily pick it up near the ship. Beware of vendors offering a ride to the shopping mall, Waikiki or other stops. You have to go through their sales pitch first which takes an hour or so (including transportation) out of YOUR time.
Read 414 Honolulu Reviews
Port
Would have rather they stopped at Kauai. That's the best island.
Read 240 Kona Reviews
Port
Lovely island. We walked forever. Well kept yards full of flowers. People were friendly.
Read 84 Moorea Reviews
Published 12/13/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Westerdam Review
Westerdam Cruises to the South Pacific
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?