Carnival Valor Cruise Review by LSUTigers2008: Perfect Relaxing Cruise!

LSUTigers2008
Member Since 2011

Public Rooms Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruises

Perfect Relaxing Cruise!

Sail Date: November 2011

My husband and I went on this 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise aboard the Carnival Valor on November 20, 2011 - November 27, 2011. The ports we visited were Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan and Grand Cayman in that order. It was a little stressful prior to us leaving due to Carnival changing our itinerary twice. But it all worked out and we ended up sailing on the original itinerary.

We booked this cruise directly through Carnival as our belated honeymoon. We weren't able to take a honeymoon right after our wedding. My husband didn't want to take a Carnival cruise at all. He has been on Royal and Disney and loved those two cruise lines. He's only heard the negative sides of carnival - that it's full of kids, teenagers and college kids just looking for a party. He wanted something quieter and romantic since it was just going to be the two of us. After shopping around, I convinced him of this particular cruise and now, he's happy we went with Carnival. More

Boarding:

Boarding was a piece of cake. We arrived in Miami very early and parked at a parking garage with free shuttle service to the port about a half mile away. It was so much cheaper than parking at the port! No complaints there. I will say, I did get a little motion sick from the car ride. Our driver even joked that if we are able to handle his driving abilities, we will be just fine on the ship. Once we arrived at the port and they took our bags, we proceeded through security. We waited in line max 10 minutes through security. Once through security we made our way to the line to check in on a kiosk. That line took about 15 minutes. Once we checked in, we had to pick up our sail and sign cards which took about another 5 minutes of waiting. Once we received our sail and sign cards, we had to wait in yet another line to get our embarkation picture taken, then finally the last line before boarding the ship - the line to actually board the ship and take our picture for the sail and sign card. That line took about 20 minutes. So all in all, we waited for about an hour in lines. At least they were broken up. By the time we stepped foot on the ship it was around 12:45 and we learned that our room wouldn't be ready until 1:30. So we went to Lido deck and got some food. It seemed hectic at first and I was getting a little nervous. It took us forever to find a seat to actually be able to eat, we had 2 suit cases with us and it just seemed so crowded. After everyone was able to go to their rooms, the ship seemed so quiet!

Room:

We decided to just go with an interior room. We were in room 9204 which is at the very front of the ship across from the scenic ocean view rooms. It was very quiet where we were with the exception of someones kids running up and down the hallways screaming. We learned to live with it. The room was not as bad as I thought. Our bathroom was huge! I was not expecting that! And the room was plenty enough room for my husband and me to walk around and get ready without bumping into each other. Our room steward was great! His name was Mr. M and he definitely made sure we had everything we needed. He even knew our names after the first time we told him on the first day. I was impressed! Every time he saw us he would strike up a conversation. My only complaint about the room was on the last day at sea, we were awaken by a loud noise that sounded like it was coming from a room right next to us. I think there was a crew only passageway beside us so we thought it was coming from there. It sounded like a saw on metal. It was so loud! It started at about 8am which didn't make me happy since I was still very much asleep. I decided to give it a few minutes to see if it stopped but by 8:30 it had not. My husband called guest services and they said they are sending someone up. I don't think they knew what was making that noise either because about 5 minutes later they called us and they heard it through the phone and just said, "oh we hear it, we're sending someone up now." I don't think it was coming from our deck so it took them a while to find out what it was. It finally stopped just after 9am. We went back to sleep and they called our room at 11am to make sure everything was ok and they didn't want to call back right after so we can get some sleep.

Ship:

We loved the ship. There was so much to do! The theme of the ship is heroes so it's a little patriotic. It's not over the top though. First thing I noticed was how clean everything was. I loved how they had hand sanitizer at anywhere there is food or drinks served and right outside the bathrooms. The ship was easy to get around once you learn it. It was large but didn't feel too large or overcrowded. Seriously, after that first day on the ship, the ship felt kind of deserted to us. Minus the days at sea when everyone wants a chair to lay in.

Entertainment:

GREAT! If you're bored on the ship that means you're not trying. We were constantly entertained whether it be from one of the shows to the entertainers in the atrium. We were never bored. We went to quite a few of the comedy shows and definitely laughed. We loved them. We went to one of the shows and it was fun. The marriage show was hilarious! We laughed so hard! We loved watching the break dancers in the center of the ship. And they got the crowd involved and made about 8 people do solos. It was so much fun! There is a plethora of bars so you are surely to find something that suits your taste. For us it was Jeanne's Wine Bar. We first stopped there because we saw they had martini tasting for $17 and got us a drink before going into a comedy show in the Eagles Lounge. We got to know the bartender, Emina, and we were hooked to that bar. It was the same group there every night and we had a blast.

Dining:

There's something for everyone. I don't have any complaints on the food. It's not 5 star quality, but it wasn't bad either. Every night at dinner we walked away stuffed and most of the time went straight back to our room to take a quick nap since we were so full. If you do order something you don't like, the waiters are very nice about it and will gladly bring you something else out. We ate in the Lincoln Dining Room 6 of the 7 nights. We had your time dining and never had to wait more than 5 minutes in line for a table. On the first formal night, I did notice that the line wrapped around the atrium after we arrived, so we got there just in time. We always had a table for 2 as well which was very nice since it was our honeymoon. 2 of the 7 nights we had 2 amazing waiters! The second night about 6 waiters brought us a cake and sang, "Happy Honeymoon" to us. They were awesome. The last 5 nights we had a waiter that I think was overworked because we never saw him past taking our order. We finally cracked a smile out of him when he realized that we had been to Spain when we ordered a bottle of Spanish wine. He was nice, he just disappeared through the meal. So if I needed anything, like sour cream for my baked potato, I better be patient.

Debarkation:

Could have been better to say the least. We decided to leave our bags out so we had more time on the ship. We received #20 for debarkation. Estimated time of departure was 10:45am. Our number was called at 9am. We were ready to go and had already ate breakfast so it wasn't a big deal. People were testy getting off the ship as the lines are still long and everyone is ready to go. So you saw a lot of cutting the last day. Once we were off the ship, we had to go down to the luggage carousel to collect our bags. This took, I kid you not, about 45 minutes for our luggage to come through. They were still on #1 when we were #20. I wasn't feeling well that morning and tried to find a seat while my husband collected our bags but no seats. Next time, we're carrying our bags off with us. Customs didn't take long. They just asked us if we purchased any alcohol and scanned in our passports.

We loved this cruise. We loved it so much we're planning our next one for 2013. I was hoping to get our families to come with us but it looks like it will just be the two of us again. Everything was so perfect. Only a few little bumps but they didn't take away from the experience at all. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Interior Lido 9204

Our cabin was very quiet and in a great location on Lido Deck. We had ample closet space and our bathroom was huge.

We booked our cave tubing excursion through cavetubing.bz. They were great. They were right outside the gates at the port waiting for us. We boarded a bus and the guide gave us a nice history on Belize. The only reason I am giving it a 3 is because I was not a fan of the city. It was very poor and very depressing. I felt like I should do charitable work here versus have fun and see kids on the side of the road with hardly any clothes on. It really broke my heart. Cavetubing was actually kind of boring. I've heard so many great things about the caves we were excited to try it. We all had stay connected by holding onto each others feet and the caves were so crowded we couldn't hear anything our guide was saying. We were told it takes about an hour to go through 3 caves and we were done in about 30 minutes. On the way back to the port we stopped at the restaurant owned by our excursion company to eat a local dish and rum punch. The food was great! We even bought the hot sauce they used to take home with us. Next time we take a cruise that stops in Belize we will definitely try snorkeling or a private beach by catamaran. I spoke with a few other passengers who did one of those two excursions and they had fun.

We decided to wing it at Grand Cayman. This was the last stop and we were tired so we decided to venture off on our own. We ended up renting bikes and biked along 7 mile beach and to Hell. We were tired! But the beach was amazing. It was the best beach we saw the entire trip. Crystal blue still water. It was breathtaking. The ship offers beach breaks for about 50 dollars a person. We found a few public beaches that had less people than the private beaches. So if you want a beach day, just go to one of the public beaches on your own and save a lot of money. We even found this other area on the beach that costs $2 to enter and you have use of their pool, showers, lockers and beach chairs. So we will definitely do that next time.

We loved this port. We booked our excursion privately through Island Marketing, LTD. They were great. They were waiting for us down the hill from the port. I was a little frustrated because the other family that was on our excursion with us didn't get off the ship immediately so we had to wait for them - for about 30 minutes. I thought that was rude of the family to wait that long to get off the ship. You are told when you book an excursion to get off the ship immediately. But once we were off, we had fun. We booked the West Bay Beach Break at Bananarama. It was fun. Only downside was that it rained about an hour after we arrived and didn't let up. The beach was pretty just very very crowded with a ton of vendors asking if you want to buy any of their products. They didn't bother you if you looked asleep in your chair so that is what we did - pretended to be asleep. Roatan was beautiful though. Our guide answered all of our questions and let us stop at a few placed to get some pictures. He even gave us his e-mail address if we have any questions if we decide to come back for vacation - which my husband and I definitely want to do one day.
Read 1645 Roatan Reviews