Disney Magic Cruise Review by heatherbelle: It didn't feel like Disney but it was!

heatherbelle
Member Since 2008

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Disney Magic Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

It didn't feel like Disney but it was!

Sail Date: August 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I had always wanted to go on a cruise, but somehow we had never got round to it. Well the Magic was in Europe and was relatively cheap compared to flying to WDW so I booked it.

We flew from the UK (LBA) to Barcelona the previous day and stayed at the Catalonia Ramblas hotel. Good location but a bit expensive. Next time I will try and book earlier and stay at the Novotel.

We had a great time in Barcelona, not long enough really, and it was very expensive £18.00 for three McDonalds. It usually costs us around £9.00 at home for the same food.

I had done a ton of research so knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. The room was great, bigger than I expected, the staff were brill, all of them, from the guy who painted the ship to our room attendant.

The food was fab apart from formal night, when it was just toooooo fussy for our tastes. If I go again I will skip formal night and go to the buffet instead. I had problems with the More pasta, and before you know it, the head server was there asking me if i wanted anything else, or to come back to the later dining and have another meal. I was so embarrassed. The pasta had been allowed to sit for ages in the kitchen and so had all stuck together and just wasn't very nice. It was the only evening I had something other than steak. There wasn't one on the menu.

My DS is a little fussy with his food, so didn't have a starter. Not a problem, our server brought him two steaks for his main meal. One night he brought three, my DS was well impressed and still talks about it now.

I hardly saw my DS once he discovered the clubs, he was off and that was it until bedtime, he didn't see any of the shows, so it was nice for me and my DH to have some time on our own, although it did take a little getting use to not having DS around.

We did all of the ports on our own, and were very easy to do, with all the tips I had picked up on here. (Thank you guys).

The only thing that seemed strange was I was expecting it to be in your face Disney like the theme parks, but it wasn't. Yes everyone smiled and there were loads of characters were about, but it just didn't seem like Disney. The "magic" was missing. Then one evening we went to one of the shows (we went to all of them), but at one, I can't remember which, it started snowing during the show. The hairs at the back of my neck pricked and I could have cried. That was the moment when I felt I was on a Disney ship. So for people who are worried that it will be too much Disney its not. It's great. I can't wait to go again. The US is too expensive for us, so I am hoping that they will be back in the Med in 2013. I have booked two dummy sail dates onboard to get the big discount, that's how much we all loved it. We're going to WDW next year, but to be honest I would rather cruising. I have been well and truly bitten by the cruise bug. Less

Read more Disney Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Magic Standard Inside Stateroom Deck Five 6007

6007 inside forward. Daybed for my little one. Really quite location and didn't feel any ship movement except for the day when we were heading to Majorca, but the whole boat was moving that day!

(5.5)
The icing on the cake! There were loads of options from this port and I wanted to do them all. But we were getting tired and it was even hotter on this day. We decided to go to Capri. The big mistake I made here was leaving it late (8.30am) to get in the queue for the hydrofoil tickets. Get off the boat before breakfast to get them and then go back for brekki. We finally made the 10.00 hydrofoil, that's how long it too to queue for the tickets. Well I love Capri, I want to live here too. It was magical. I can't describe it how I felt. When you get off the boat go and get your tickets back to Naples straight away. We then took the funicular up to the top of the Island. We had planned on going to Anacapri, but again it was too hot. So we had a mooch around and some lunch and headed back on the 1.00 hydrofoil. we were back onboard the magic by around 3.00
Read 651 Naples Reviews

This was the port I was dreading. I was really nervous about not getting back to the boat in time. It took around 10 mins to walk to the station and an hour on the train. We got off at St Pierre I think its called for the Vatican and then took the hop on hop off bus, which was 23 euros each. It was well worth it as it was very hot, in the high 90's. We got off the bus for the trevi fountain and then took the metro, which was included in our train ticket to the Colosseum to take the tour I had booked of the dungeons and the third floor. We then got back on the hop on hop off bus and went on the rest of the loop and got the 4.30 train back to the boat, which was delayed for an hour!! Loads of us from our cruise were on this train, as well as people from other cruise lines.

What a lovely beautiful place. I want to live here! We had to tender this morning, which took around 40mins. We then caught the train to Monaco, which I think was around 8 or 9 Euros. It was a gentle 10 minute stroll along the sea front to the station. Loved Monaco, we took the road train around it and then caught the bus, back to the Cafe du Paris. Two ice creams cost 20 euros, nearly died. But hey ho, we were on holiday.