Disney Magic Cruise Review by heatherbelle

Cruise Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 11B
See More About: Disney Magic Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
        10-12 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Magic Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Magic Deck Plans
It didn't feel like Disney but it was!
I had always wanted to go on a cruise, but somehow we had never got round to it. Well the Magic was in Europe and was relatively cheap compared to flying to WDW so I booked it.

We flew from the UK (LBA) to Barcelona the previous day and stayed at the Catalonia Ramblas hotel. Good location but a bit expensive. Next time I will try and book earlier and stay at the Novotel.

We had a great time in Barcelona, not long enough really, and it was very expensive £18.00 for three McDonalds. It usually costs us around £9.00 at home for the same food.

I had done a ton of research so knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. The room was great, bigger than I expected, the staff were brill, all of them, from the guy who painted the ship to our room attendant.

The food was fab apart from formal night, when it was just toooooo fussy for our tastes. If I go again I will skip formal night and go to the buffet instead. I had problems with the pasta, and before you know it, the head server was there asking me if i wanted anything else, or to come back to the later dining and have another meal. I was so embarrassed. The pasta had been allowed to sit for ages in the kitchen and so had all stuck together and just wasn't very nice. It was the only evening I had something other than steak. There wasn't one on the menu.

My DS is a little fussy with his food, so didn't have a starter. Not a problem, our server brought him two steaks for his main meal. One night he brought three, my DS was well impressed and still talks about it now.

I hardly saw my DS once he discovered the clubs, he was off and that was it until bedtime, he didn't see any of the shows, so it was nice for me and my DH to have some time on our own, although it did take a little getting use to not having DS around.

We did all of the ports on our own, and were very easy to do, with all the tips I had picked up on here. (Thank you guys).

The only thing that seemed strange was I was expecting it to be in your face Disney like the theme parks, but it wasn't. Yes everyone smiled and there were loads of characters were about, but it just didn't seem like Disney. The "magic" was missing. Then one evening we went to one of the shows (we went to all of them), but at one, I can't remember which, it started snowing during the show. The hairs at the back of my neck pricked and I could have cried. That was the moment when I felt I was on a Disney ship. So for people who are worried that it will be too much Disney its not. It's great. I can't wait to go again. The US is too expensive for us, so I am hoping that they will be back in the Med in 2013. I have booked two dummy sail dates onboard to get the big discount, that's how much we all loved it. We're going to WDW next year, but to be honest I would rather cruising. I have been well and truly bitten by the cruise bug.

Publication Date: 12/13/11