Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by reesser: My wife now has this rare disease

reesser
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

My wife now has this rare disease

Sail Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My wife contracted a very rare disease that could cause some long term problems. It is so rare that it does not have a name, so I will call it croozin disease.
We have been home for over a week and she has not cooked a meal yet!!
This was our 29th cruise, been on 6 different lines, and our 3rd on FOS.
If someone was bored on this cruise, they better give up cruising. With nice meals, lots of activities, great getting on and off, it makes the trip more enjoyable.

That being said, there can be some improvements. I had requested luggage tags at least a month before the cruise - they never came. So I had to get them at the port, which were hand written by the porter. We arrived at 11AM, so we thought that we would have our two bags before dinner. I retrieved one about 5 PM and the last came when we were at dinner. We came aboard properly attired for dinner. When the rooms were opened up at 1:30, we went to our room to check it out, and neither key card worked. I More quickly went down to the desk and had that changed. The line grew quickly after I received our new ones as others were having the same problem.

Main Dining attire - The dress code is written and very clear, but the ship's personnel allow numerous people to sit at the tables with shorts at night. Don't put the dress code in writing and make no attempt to enforce it! The assistant head waiter, which we never met, but received a gratuity, could be at the entrance and could easily take charge. It happens on other cruise lines.
We chose "My Time" dining as we don't want to be tied down at a time or be at a very large table of 14. MT dining occupies half of the restaurant on deck 5 - the upper of the 3 decks. Other lines have a better operation and have more cruisers that want this type of dining. Most nights there was only one lady that would check you in and then take you to your table - this did cause a backup on some nights. We like "to share" as we like a table of 6 and meet different people each night. That does not happen - we had a table for 2 each night. It was not bad as we were there about 1 1/2 hours and our waiter, Agnello, was great. The same thing happened on the Allure of the Seas.

Our stops - Labadee was a nice beach stop, Falmouth is a dump. Why they wanted to spend millions at place like that is unbelievable. The new piers are still not completed and the shops and outdoor stalls sell wood carvings and other dust collectors. I took a $15 trolley tour that lasted 35 minutes. If you forget your camera, you will not miss anything. The best thing was the Red Stripe beer for $3 in front of the one and only stop - the church. The winds were too high so we missed Grand Cayman. A smaller ship did dock. Our Captain said that the port tender service was closed for most of the week. If you have a private tour there - beware. Cozumel - we docked at the International pier - - not as nice as the Carnival pier next door - better shops there. These docks are about 4 miles from the center of downtown - taxi is about $7 for 2 and $16 for 8 people.

We had northeast winds for almost the whole trip, so we pounded our way home on the last day and a half. We met nice friends Margie and Bob. Overall is a nice cruise Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>