Norwegian Star Cruise Review by FunGranny: Mixed Feelings

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Western Caribbean Cruises

Mixed Feelings

Sail Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Tampa

I thought the Star was a very pretty ship. The officers were great as was our room steward and the cruise director. Sometimes the service in the dining areas was great; other times it was horrible. One night we were seated at 5:35 but did not get dessert until 7:39!! We were seated 22 minutes before our order was taken and 19 minutes before our salad arrived. The wait staff is either poorly trained or overworked or both. On the other hand, we always had well trained staff in the Blue Lagoon. Sometimes the food was very good such as our snapper which was served along side overcooked lobster. However, another passenger who ate later said her lobster was great and her fish was terrible. The only items that were consistently good were the breads, pastries, and desserts which were usually excellent. We are definitely not fans of free style dining. If we weren't there before 5:45, there was often a 20-30 minute wait. NCL did serve champagne but I would have rather had a place to sit More while we waited.

The entertainment also earned mixed reviews. The ship's singers and dancers were excellent as was the entertainment in the lounges and atrium.

The main reason we took this particular cruise was the ports and they did not disappoint. They were great! We especially liked Costa Maya with Native Choice and Israel. The young man who guided us at the ruins was outstanding and the highlight of our trip! I'm sorry I don't recall his name but I think it also began with an I.

Embarkation and disembarkation were a snap. Thank you, NCL. Next time, we would use valet parking instead of self parking. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Nine

While smaller than cabins on other ships, it was well designed with plenty of storage space and hangers. It was clean and the cabin stewart,Sharek, was excellent.

We took the ship tour to the Mayan ruins here. It was a very good tour. Others have commented here that it is a bumpy ride and it truly is. The guide was excellent.

We have been to Cozumel before so just shopped. Cozumel is a great place to shop at the port. I like the big shop in the top floor of the mall where there were set prices which were cheaper than we saw at other places. I am talking about souvenirs for family and friends. We bought some of the bracelets from independent vendors who make them using thread to put names on. The kids really liked them. I did bargain for these.
Read 3092 Cozumel Reviews

We took supplies to a school here and enjoyed our private tour of the island. It was a Victor Bodden tour. The guide took us over the entire island. He took us to Parrot Tree Resort where they have a lovely beach and one could swim for a nominal amount. Unfortunately we did not have our bathing suits with us. The island is small so even after touring the entire island, you have time for swimming.
Read 1645 Roatan Reviews