Grand Princess Cruise Review by Cigary

Cruise Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: BF
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
Voyage of the Damed
This was our second Transatlantic Cruise and our first one was in 2006 on the Golden...the sister ship to the Grand. The Grand was supposed to have had a major overhaul around the first of 2011 and from what we saw it certainly wasn't on our floor. We booked a balcony cabin as we always do and this was the SMALLEST balcony cabin I've ever seen....I've been in inside cabins that had as much or more room than this one. The shower had mold inside of it...the carpets were old...and this was supposed to have been a ship that was redone...puhhhhleeeeeze!

I think the average age on this voyage was 75 years old ( don't get me wrong as age is relative ) and most of the people acted as if they were already dead...in fact half a dozen actually died on this voyage. We ate at Sabatinis and we discovered that it wasn't anything like it used to be as we ate on the Crown and it was Wonderful! On the Grand it was disgusting...the food wasn't any better than your neighborhood Italian Restaurant. They have changed the whole menu and the ambiance stunk....our waiter served us and only put 1/3 portions on our plate while he went back to the kitchen and then ate the other third.....we could see him do this as the doorway had a window in it...so it was easy to see what he was doing and he did this with another table as well. I reported this idiot to management and it took 3 days to settle the issue....they took the charge off our account and let us eat for free at the Crown Restaurant which was very good BTW...we ate there 3 times.

Our tour package in the Azores in Portugal was horrible...it was raining the whole time from when we boarded the bus until we returned 4 hours later. They should have canceled the tour as we never even got off the bus to see the destination it was raining so bad. There was a wine/cheese deal at the end but it was so unhygenic that you didn't want to eat any of the crackers and meats....there were other tours there as well and people were literally coughing...sneezing over the foods and I saw at least a dozen other people picking their nose and then would stir the crackers and cheeses with those same fingers...GROSS!!!

Worst bed I have ever slept on in my life....I needed morphine for my back it was so bad. A word of advice for others...DO NOT TAKE A CRUISE ON THIS SHIP....horrible. I've heard that newer ships are much better and I will heed that advice.

Publication Date: 12/12/11