Ryndam Cruise Review by AllieKay: Enjoyable vacation but not quite as I remembered

AllieKay
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Ryndam Western Caribbean Cruises

Enjoyable vacation but not quite as I remembered

Sail Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Tampa

Had a very nice time on the MS RYNDAM. Would cruise this ship again but only if different ports of call - Cozumel and Costa Maya were nothing special.

GOOD: ship size - small and intimate - got to know lots of lovely people from day one. easy to navigate and get everywhere. wide variety of activities for all ages/interests to enjoy. well done. never felt crowded on ship - plenty of places to relax and read/enjoy entertainment, etc. Cabin was more than adequate - places to store everything and convenient to everywhere.

MEDIOCRE: staff is overworked. days of yore where you engaged with waiter, etc are gone - felt like he was overbooked despite his friendliness - never really "connected" with him. some staff seemed very indifferent to being there - no smiles or genuine friendliness. some, not all.
One tender port - Belize. poor job of notifying passengers about process and timing to get off ship - what is p/a system for if not to use it?

BAD: think More my BFF and I spent entire trip with the wrong photo attached to our ship ID cards and no one noticed!!! She has blue eyes, fair skin and short curly reddish hair. I have dark hair - long/straight, dark brown eyes. How did they not notice we look nothing alike? Frightening.

A/C was adequate. Don't know how I'd feel in hotter months - we had cranked to coolest setting and it was often a bit warm. Less

Read more Ryndam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ryndam Review >>

Cabin review: Ryndam Large Oceanview Stateroom Main 405

Our cabin was under Rotterdam Dining Room. Feared a lot noise. There wasn't ANY. They use upper level of dining room for breakfast and lunch so did not hear a peep. Happy about that. Cabin had room for all of our stuff, fit all suitcases under beds with no problem. Hot water was extremely hot - easy to get burned. A/C was adequate. Don't know how I'd feel in hotter months - we had cranked to coolest setting and it was often a bit warm.

Went on a cave tubing trip about 45 minutes from town. Did not use cruise excursion - found option using Trip Advisor. GREAT experience. Learned a lot about this lovely little country and look forward to coming back.

Dull. I stayed close to pier and was bored to death. Highly disturbed by miniscule swimming pens at water's edge that have four dolphins crammed into them. WAY TOO SMALL for these beautiful animals. Left me quite upset. Pal went on Mayan Ruin excursion - first off ship and last to return. They had a great time. I would opt never to return to Costa Maya.

Not qualified to rate this locale since we just wandered around port area until our massages at Spa Cozumel. Very typical Mexican port - many, many storefronts selling silver, cigars, pottery, etc. Those that did venture out of main town area had a great time. Would opt for an excursion that took me away from city center in future.
Read 3087 Cozumel Reviews

Again, opted for an excursion so did not see much of town. Port/pier area is lovely and nicely landscaped, etc. Island is lush, green and really lovely. Will go back in future.
Read 1642 Roatan Reviews