Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Nat_C

Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 8D
Shore Excursions 5+

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS CRUISE
Let me start off my review from the beginning, I live in Texas and I was very excited to sail on the new Carnival Magic but starting from the very beginning this was not the vacation that we imagined. The pier was a complete mess where they were unloading passengers and also loading at the same time with only 50 porters who were able to help you, that is 50 porters to the 6000 people getting on and off the ship, when I asked the porter about this he let me know that Carnival had just laid off 15 people, not very smart when you have a ship this large. Our first two days on the ship were ok and that is the best that I can say, between the horrible service and only having two small restaurants open before 10 AM to serve 3000 guests, you would have to wait in line for at least 30 minutes for eggs that I would not serve to my dog. The "24 Hour" restaurants that were supposedly open did not have people working behind the counter so unless you wanted to hop in the kitchen and serve yourself then you were out of luck, back to the horrible eggs. The "room service" that you could order, well you had a choice of bread and fruit, not what I would call room service.

To make things better there are only two pools on the boat, which one is on the back of the boat with hot tubs and also one of the only good restaurants on the boat, a sandwich shop, when we decided to have a nice evening sitting back by the pool we were very rudely told that would not be allowed that evening as the crew needed to have a party so therefore we were not to be allowed anywhere near this area of the ship, since when has it been appropriate to shut down an entire portion of the ship so that the crew could have a party? Also this was at 8 PM and we were told this area would be shut down the rest of the evening. Our balcony room was 4 floors below this area and we were not able to sleep as we heard them partying the entire night, completely drunk and screaming. When I called guest services to report this they then refunded us $20.00, we had spent over $4,000.00 with Carnival for this trip, what a disrespectful slap in the face.

We then proceeded to try the casino, again with the horrible service, I dont know if it was from the hangovers or what but all of the dealers were barely awake while they were dealing the cards. At one point when I won my hand the dealer did not pay me out and made a huge scene saying that I was lying and they would have to review the cameras before they would pay me out, once they spoke with the pit boss and made me feel extremely horrible they finally paid my hand that they owed me. On top of this every time you order anything on this boat they will tack on a 20% tip even if the service is horrible and you do not feel that they deserve this amount. By the end of our trip we had paid over $400 in gratuities.

The one nice day out by the main pool where everyone was finally having a great time, the cruise director decided this would be a great time to turn off all of the music and do a towel animal demonstration for 2 HOURS! This was a great way to turn all of the people at this pool away, why would you want to do a towel demonstration at the pool for 2 hours?

Walking throughout the boat we spoke to many people all of whom were upset that they had even spent money to come on this cruise when the staff was so disrespectful, the food was horrible and the shows were unbelievably dry. Please read this review before you spend your money on this ship and decide against it.

Publication Date: 12/10/11