“Disappointing experience”

creview2011
Member Since 2011
No Forum Posts
Overall Member Rating
This was our second experience with Regent. Prior experience was very good, on the Mariner, with great weather and a great crew. Based upon prior experience, we had anticipated being loyal Regent clients for years to come. This second trip was disappointing. The trip was challenged with bad weather, and political issues in scheduled ending port of Athens, Greece. We clearly do not hold Regent responsible for that. I was however very disappointed in the management response to challenges faced. I have waited for a month+ to post a review for 2 reasons: 1) I have expressed my feelings in writing to Regent, and was awaiting their reply; and 2), I wanted to let the events settle for a while before reacting. With time-passed, Regents reply to my concerns was very weak (a copied form letter), and my feelings have not really changed. My strong feeling after our return is that once the cruise started having difficulty, the feeling we got as passengers went from Regent's "It's All Included" to "It's all prepaid and Regent will just wait for this trip to be over and the next cruise group to board." 4 scheduled ports were missed due to weather in the last 6 of 10 days. Schedules were changed in the few ports made, but not coordinated with the rest of the ship management. For example, to accommodate a need to leave Kusadasi, Turkey earlier than scheduled in the afternoon, passengers were notified the evening prior that excursion departure times were moved up to just after 7am. But, the restaurants were not scheduled to open until 7am, and thus there was no food service prior to departing. A small thing, but should have been handled better by this claimed level of luxury provider. On another day (Sicily), due to rain, a large number of excursions returned around 1:00. After passengers went to rooms to get dry clothes on, we went to restaurants to find that they were closed at 1:30. Only available option was the pool deck buffet in the rain. Would have seemed simple to extend the restaurant service hours to accommodate. As port calls were missed, little was done to fill the void. Cruises experience bad weather, that is to be expected; I just would have expected a lot more ability by Regent to handle the experience. We truly got the impression that the on-board management staff was scrambling wondering what to do next. Food was not as good as we had previously experienced on the Mariner. I will trust my next cruise experience to another line.
Seven Seas Voyager Cruises to the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

Beautiful interior to room, nice bathroom, good closet space. Other cabin locations towards front of ship are better, less noisy both at sea and at port (a lot of the ship supply loading occurs at back-end of ship in port).
Published 12/09/11
Read Cruise Critic’s Seven Seas Voyager Review
Seven Seas Voyager Cruises to the Eastern Mediterranean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?