Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by MGUNT: Mostly great, but some improvements needed

MGUNT
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Mostly great, but some improvements needed

Sail Date: November 2011

I want to keep this short and sweet--just my observations.

SOME GREAT THINGS ABOUT THE SHIP:
1. Smoothest embarkation ever--you will be pleasantly surprised. Debarkation not as quick, but considering the number of people--it was good.
2. Room layout is very good--balcony larger than expected and storage galore. Also very quiet.
3. The interactive maps/schedules posted near the elevators are very helpful. You are not likely to get lost.
4. Has a flat-screen TV in the room with quite a few channels and also daily reports from the cruise director and from the bridge. Also the announcements do not come into the room--which is nice if you are taking a nap.
5. Has some very good quiet areas: Solarium, Central Park, Viking Lounge.
6. Although the ship was full, it didn't seem crowded. The Royal Promenade is where all of the action is but there are plenty of other areas for some peace and quiet. Central Park at night is very peaceful.
7. More Internet access is readily available and is not crowded at all--available in three different places and not as slow as some ships that I have been on. It is not necessary to take your laptop to check email.
8. Enjoyed all of the eating venues--especially Chops, Johnny Rockets, and the Solarium (try the florentine bar--very good).
9. Ship is very clean--and my wife and I are clean freaks.
10. Although we didn't take our kids, this ship would be the perfect ship for them. The ssports area is second to none.
11. On Air club is a combo sports bar/karaoke bar. Loved the big screen TV's for watching sports.
12. Be sure to email a video--it is free and in the On Air club.
13. Really enjoyed the Make-A-Wish Foundation fundraiser--minimum $10 donation and you get a t-shirt and also get to participate in the walk.
14. Enjoyed the backstage tour of the main theater and also the "Ask the Captain", which were both held on the last full day.

A FEW THINGS THAT NEED IMPROVEMENT:
1. The Royal Caribbean website is not as user-friendly as it could be.
2. The shows and activities begin too late in the evening for many of us. But the talent in the shows are worth staying up for--awesome talent.
3. Crocs cannot be worn on the zip line. Sign doesn't indicate that--but trust me. I had to lose my place in line and had to go back to the room to get my running shoes.
4. The shows are too difficult to book--several were already booked one month prior to sailing. Twice I stood in standby lines for 45 minutes and still didn't get into the show. They need more show offerings or larger venues. How about doing the comedy show in the theater? It would assure that everyone who wanted to attend it could do so.
5. Elevators are not as efficient as they should be--many times it is much easier to use the stairs.
6. You can still get motion sickness on this ship. Several did the week that we sailed--the water was fairly rough due to very high winds and storms. So be prepared--I am glad that I was.

I hope that this information helps. Overall it is a great ship and we had a great time! Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Allure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Allure of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6 7138

Very quiet room. Storage is good. Loved the balcony.