Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Tremdis: Norwegian Epic- Not for the cruise expert

Tremdis
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Norwegian Epic- Not for the cruise expert

Sail Date: November 2011

We booked this cruise with NCL directly. We have a 1 year old and a 2 year old. Yes, we were brave enough to start them cruising early! We were forced to obtain a balcony cabin, since there were no inside staterooms left that accommodated 4 (less worries of a balcony).

We traveled with a group of 15 people. The stateroom was much smaller than expected. We were really tight. They put in "2 cribs" in our room, only one fit (really a pack and play). The sofa can turn into a bed and you could ask for a bed rail, which worked out for our 2 year old. The balcony was really not a huge concern since the handle is purposely is made that the handle is moved up instead of down to prevent toddlers from opening it themselves. Additionally, there is a lock lever on the top which prevents any accidents. The toilet and the shower were separate. I think I liked this, or not sure if I did not care either way. The sink is in the stateroom in front of bed. Don't wash your mouth and More then dress without shoes, you'll have wet socks.

The "Freestyle" cruise is not impressive at all. Although they state that the entertainment on board was "EXCELLENT", I couldn't disagree more. No kidding....I must say that 90% of the cruise, my group was like...ok, it's 9:30 pm..what are we going to do. The shows MUST be booked ahead of time, and you need reservations. We never could book the show on the same day, and even harder for the same time for not even 1/2 the group. They make a big deal about how you need to book only one time slot (free shows) and that if you do not arrive 10 minutes before, your ticket will be forfeit. Makes you think "Wow, high demand, must be a must see show". The Legends Concert was "ok", with some look a likes. The Blue Man Group.......Zzzzzzz. In the Blueman show there were one or two things that made you say, ok...that is somewhat cool. 80% of the show you are saying "Ok, I know they are going to wow me any minute". Wait sitting. Boring show. The Comedy Magician show was a guy with card tricks. That's all.

We saw the Cruise Director 3 times. Twice for 4 mins in our dining room, reminding us to book our shows. Not motivational AT ALL. His name was Andy Stranhauser or something like that. We were all REALLY BORED on this cruise. Waiting for a table for 6 was about 30 min wait on average. The theme restaurants were ok, but I preferred eating in the free main dining room. Not to save the $10-$25 per person fee, but because there was live music (very nice) and a Signature menu that changed daily. The food was amazing. I must say higher quality than other pricier cruises.

DO NOT check in strollers. If it breaks, or a wheel gets damaged (like ours), there are no loaners or replacements on board. Get ready to carry your kid around the ship and the islands!!

A "MUST DO" is getting off the ship early when you arrive in St. Maarten and take the ferry to St John. There is a beach there called Trunk Bay that is soooooooooo worth it. Nicest beach I have seen!

Overall, an "ok to below average cruise" is better than none at all, but at $4000 I expected more. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Family Balcony Stateroom Deck 13 13147

The stateroom was much smaller than expected. We were really tight. They put in "2 cribs" in our room, only one fit (really a pack and play). The sofa can turn into a bed and you could ask for a bed rail, which worked out for our 2 year old. The balcony was really not a huge concern since the handle is purposely is made that the handle is moved up instead of down to prevent toddlers from opening it themselves. Additionally, there is a lock lever on the top which prevents any accidents. The toilet and the shower were separate. I think I liked this, or not sure if I did not care either way. The sink is in the stateroom in front of bed. Don't wash your mouth and then dress without shoes, you'll have wet socks.

Paradise Island is all to really do here. Expensive.
Read 2624 Nassau Reviews

Very run down island. Careful if you go to the French Side's beaches since they are "Clothing optional". I have been to many islands in the Caribbean, and St. Maarten is nothing out of this world. People were nice.