Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by coba57: A Week of Bliss

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A Week of Bliss

Sail Date: November 2011

EMBARCATION: Well organized. Although there was a line to get through security, check-in was a breeze. As an Aqua class guest, we had our own line and were able to walk right up to the check-in counter to hand over our credit card to cover incidentals. Getting aboard the ship was quite easy and our cabin was ready upon our arrival. The only glitch was that I had purchased a unlimited soda package prior to the cruise but a sticker hadn't been placed on on my Celebrity Seapass to show that I had purchased this package. My wife and I stowed our bags in our stateroom and went to the buffet and there was plenty of room to sit and have lunch.

STATEROOM: The stateroom was designed by five women but surprisingly storage space was only adequate but there was a bar in the shower to help women shave their legs. As Aqua guests, we were provided fresh fruit, daily bottles of water and carafes of tea as well as canapes in the afternoon. There are no power outlets near the beds so if More you use a CPAP or other electrical device, be sure to bring an extension cord or you might be able to get your room steward to find you one. Our stateroom was perfectly located near the rear set of elevators. These elevators will take you directly to all of the restaurants.

BLU restaurant: This restaurant is only available to Aqua class members (and to suite guests with a surcharge) and only open for breakfast and lunch. Due to the limited number of passengers travelling in Aqua class, the service is excellent. The food is outstanding and very well prepared but sometimes the food seemed a little too precious (Arugula anyone?) which made me appreciate the ordinary Chinese food at the Manchu Wok at the Miami airport. I especially enjoyed the freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juice available at breakfast.

SPECIALITY restaurants: We tried all of them and rate them in the following order: 1) Tuscan Grill 2) Murano 3) Qsine. The Tuscan grill has an excellent menu and serves very generous portions of seafood and Italian cuisine. 2) Murano: The service is exceptional but the food is only somewhat better than the food served in Blu so it wasn't worth the surcharge to dine there. However, the lobster Bisque is quite good. 3) Qsine: A remarkable presentation of food but the food is simply average. I rarely eat french fries but the french fries were the best I've ever had. The Eclipse is surprisingly lacking in Asian food compared to other cruise lines. However there is daily sushi in the buffet at night which is quite good. The Eclipse is home ported in England for much of the year so Anglophiles can get their fill of bangers, kippers, fried tomatoes and other weird sausages at the buffet for breakfast.

BUFFET: Exceptional compared to the buffets of other cruise lines. A huge variety of foods, no lines and best of all, the food is tended by actual people to make sure the food doesn't run out and that none of it dries out. As mentioned, there is fresh sushi every evening which is quite good except for the first night when smoked salmon sushi was served-the rest of the time the Salmon sushi was fresh.

THE CREW: Exceedingly friendly and polite. Always greeted with a smile and a hello by everyone.

Overall, the cruise was excellent. Travelling Aqua class was worth the extra money even though I didn't use the spa. Celebrity has now become my favorite cruise line. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse 1627

Quiet location, close to elevators, limited storage space