Regatta Cruise Review by carlo7

Regatta
Member Name: carlo7
Cruise Date: November 2011
Cabin Category: A1
See More About: Regatta Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Oceania Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Regatta Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Regatta Deck Plans
Islands In The Sun
My frame of reference is an 18 day cruise in an SY cabin on HAL's Westerdam in 2008. Regatta is an elegant small ship. Food was very good to excellent. Country club casual is a great idea and I always felt comfortable dressed in a nice shirt and slacks. Showing up whenever we wanted for meals was also painless. We never had to wait for a table. We also had out choice of table size every night. I liked Polo over Toscana. Nicer atmosphere, better menu for me.

The perks of a concierge level cabin were worth the extra cost to us. The cabin is small, the head very small. The inclusion of soft drinks, Perrier and all coffee drinks (Lattes, cappuccinos) in the cost is very nice. All crew was friendly and capable. Entertainment is mediocre. Public areas are small, especially on sea days around the small pool. After 10:30 finding a chaise can be problematic, especially if you are uninterested in laying in the sun. The ship still has some issues with the propulsion system as it felt like we were hitting a whale or an iceberg about every 20 minutes. The shuddering made me wonder if she would get us home. I was told this problem also limited the ship's speed which made the stabilizers less effective in the rolling Caribbean seas. I spoke to one man who was sick enough to visit the med. center. He was given a shot that calmed his tummy but cost $400. Ouch!!

Because of the ship's size we had to anchor out in two ports where we should have docked (larger ships we already there). The tendering was always an exciting experience as the tenders rocked and rolled next to the mother ship. Passengers with walking issues could not get off the ship. If a small ship with limited public spaces is your wish Regatta is fine. For me she is too small. I did not use the included airfare as booking myself saved me much money given the $1,000 credit from OC. I thought the fare was a very good buy.

Publication Date: 12/08/11