“Wonderul Experience”

doowopbob
Member Since 2004
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
We were aboard Marina for a cruise from Athens to Rome 11-14 to 11-24. This was our first time on Oceana and I must say that after this cruise we are spoiled. We have cruised 3 times on HAL which we considered our favorite cruse line along with Celebrity until now. I really don't think they can compare to Oceana. The Marina is a beautiful ship. From the time we arrived at the dock in Athens until we left the ship in Rome we were treated like royalty. I must say that while the service on the other lines we have sailed on has been for the most part very good they were not as good as on Marina. I made a game of trying to get past a crew member without them smiling and wishing us well and I failed. We stayed in a Penthouse suite which I would highly recommend. Our butler (sorry to say I don't remember his name) was so much better than the one we had recently on Celebrity. When you called his page he was either knocking on your door or calling you within 20 seconds, and he couldn't have been nicer. I can't comment on the Main dinning room as we never ate there. I will say that several people who did had problems with under or over cooked food. We ate at Red Ginger twice, The Polo Grill twice, Jacques once and Toscana twice. Our butler was able to get us the extra reservation at Red Ginger and we were able to get into the Polo Grill and Toscana by throwing ourselves on the mercy of the Maitre d. The other two nights we had our butler serve us in our room from Jacques and The Polo Grill. All these restaurants were fantastic in our view. I never thought I'd ever say I was "all lobstered out" but after this cruise I was. The only (minor) complaints about Marina have been echoed by others. The shower is too small. We had no need of a tub and would have preferred a shower that you can turn around in. Also the layout of the library is ridiculous. The arm chairs and sofas are laid out so that you can't get to the shelves to check out the book when someone is sprawled out in them which is always. The only ship's tour we took was the bus ride into Florence which was ridiculously over priced as were all the ships tours. We arranged all our other tours with people we met on our roll call. Had wonderful weather throughout the cruise. On the last day of the cruise we did something we have never done before which was to put a deposit down for a future cruise. After sailing on Oceana and Marina we would find it hard to sail on any other cruise line. We appreciate very much the strict smoking policy and the lack of children's programs which makes it more of an adult experience. We are looking forward to our next cruise.
Marina Cruises to the Western Mediterranean

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Marina Review
Marina Cruises to the Western Mediterranean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?