Balmoral Cruise Review by JANET BATTERSBY: Cocoon!

JANET BATTERSBY
0 Post

Compare Prices on Balmoral Canary Islands Cruises

Cocoon!

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Southampton

After extensive research I chose Fred Olsen and the BALMORAL Canaries Cruise departing Southampton 17.11.11 due to it being our first cruise and being advised to go on a smaller cruise ship so as not to be overwhelmed with too many passengers.
What my research did not tell me was that the average age would be 75+ or so it would appear. Never have I seen so many walking sticks, frames and mobility scooters in such an enclosed environment before!
The cruise was advertised as Music and Laughter - I must have missed the bit about the sequence dancing and bingo. Every day prior to the shows x 2 there was approx an hour whereby Gentleman Hosts danced with single ladies both ballroom and latin - these ladies booked the cruise solely for this entertainment but as stated I must have overlooked this snippet of info.
There was nothing on the cruise during the day for my husband and I to do whilst at sea - we are in the age bracket 50 -59 and felt totally out of place.
We are not More interested in patchwork, card making, bingo etc and the resident guest speakers were of no interest - only giving info on places we were to visit which had already been researched.
That said, the cabin, food, service and prices at the bar were more than satisfactory. What was needed from our point of view was a sports bar where we could watch European/Domestic Football Cricket Tennis Golf etc or a Cinema/Theatre.
The evening entertainment was sufficient but would have been better has second sitting guests, 8.30 been able to watch the show prior to eating maybe the shows starting at 7.00pm rather than not being able to see the shows until 10.45 whereby we were never able to go to bed until midnight as did not want to miss evening entertainment. Less

Read more Balmoral cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Balmoral Review >>

Cabin review: Balmoral Balcony Junior Suite Lido Deck 8070

Great size room, good size balcony but tv too small for room. Well stocked fridge. Would have preferred an ironing board in the room rather than having to walk quite a distance on different decks to the launderette. Would have liked menus for the different restaurants printed in the Daily Times as this would have made choosing where to eat easier than walking up and down stairs to compare Palms Cafe to Restaurants.