Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Prezrob11: Really Epic

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Really Epic

Sail Date: November 2011

Where do I begin? My last experience with Norwegian was on the SKY and I left never wanting to return, however, the Epic has changed my mind and I must say the Epic is worth all of the hype.

This was a seven day Eastern Carib. cruise it left on 11/26/2011 and returned on 12/3/2011. The ports of call were St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Nassau, Bahamas. We were travelling for a family members birthday and in total there were 8 of us. However, obviously everyone was split into rooms with there spouses or friends that accompanied them.

The Ship: The Epic was quite big but well organized in many ways. A positive was that if you had even number rooms you were on one side with one set of elevators and if you were in odd number rooms you had your own side with corresponding elevators. However a negative was that there was only a forward and aft set of elevators and nothing in the middle so you would have to walk really far to get to the other side. The elevators were also More always full and took quite a while to come unless you were at the bottom (5) or the top (15). The ship had a nice feel to it and even though it had 4,000 people on it did not feel overwhelming except for at the elevators. The large TV in the middle was a nice touch and many games and movies were displayed throughout the course of the week. The ship had many common areas and the deck on 15 was always happening. There was plenty of seating and it was always easy to get a drink from the bar. It was also easy to get food on Deck 15.

The Room: We had a large balcony room and it was forward on floor 9. The room was very nice. The curvy walls were such a nice touch and the floor to ceiling glass was great. Also the separate shower and toilet did not bother us. We thought it was a better use of space and this was the first time I actually enjoyed taking a shower on a cruise ship. The TV did not have many choices and I would have been happier with some local abc, cbs, nbc, fox action because I tend to be in my room during early evening as I get ready for partying later that night. There was lots of storage in the room and space to fit your luggage under the bed. Having a large balcony made sitting out and enjoying the ocean much more enjoyable.

The Entertainment: The entertainment was awesome. I have never been on a ship that nailed entertainment the way the EPIC has. The Blue Man group was excellent and the show kept everyone entertained. I like that you have to reserve your seats because it made attending the show no nonsense. Cirque Du Dreams was also an awesome show and was worth the up-charge of 30 dollars for premium seating. In fact I even got selected from the audience. Other shows included, a magic comedy show, Second City which is free but with reservations and various other shows and events. There was always something to do and it was all top notch.

The Casino: The Casino was large and open and took up the middle of the 6th deck. It was fun however, I wish it was maybe aft instead of the whole middle because I just think it would have flowed better that way. The casino does have every game you can imagine and tons of slots so if you are into gambling you can really enjoy yourself.

Food: Taste and the Manhattan room are the main freestyle dining rooms. They serve the same menu but give you a different ambiance. Manhattan room is like a supper club. Taste is very modern but trending towards upscale. I found my food tasted better in Taste. However, that is a minor difference as the food was consistently good all over the ship. For breakfast I mostly ate on deck 15 and found the buffet to be great. However I wish they had more non pork breakfast meats on 15, that aren't fish! The 24/7 Pizza is great but you have to get it delivered outside of the times it was available on deck 15. The delivery has a 5 dollar surcharge and the Pizza I had delivered came in bad shape. It tastes decent, however, Carnival has better pizza. The plus about the delivery is they will deliver wherever you are on board the ship, and not just to your stateroom. The specialty restaurants are a real treat. We went to Cagney's and the steak with pepper sauce was delicious. I was disappointed in the desert selection generally aboard the ship. It seemed all very basic.

Service: I find Norwegian employees to be rude and unapologetic most of the time. This ship was no exception. Many employees seemed to be disinterested with service and were not generally friendly they seemed to force themselves to say hello. In contrast on Carnival I find employees friendly and attentive and if there is one area where EPIC and Norwegian continue to fail it is in the service department. I will say the Entertainment staff was generally friendly and many of the wait staff were friendly even if they got your orders consistently wrong or could not explain the menu.

Over all I would say that the EPIC is a great ship and I really must try and stick to these type of super big premium ships for my future cruises because the experience was excellent. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic

Nassau to me, is a more congested less friendly version of the port at Grand Cayman. Nassau shopping is expensive prices aren't as competitive and there always seems to be throngs of cars on the street. We went to Atlantis over on Paradise Island and had a great time at Aquaventure. Outside of Atlantis I don't really enjoy Nassau and even though I like the big houses on the water and think Nassau is a nice Island I would have preferred if the ship stopped at Grand Turk or Tortola or even San Juan rather than Nassau with its 10 ships in port all the time...
Read 2629 Nassau Reviews

St. Maarten was a very nice port and I felt very safe while in St. Maarten. I enjoyed the ATV excursion and rode the Island and had good fun on those ATV's. There is an abundance of shopping in St. Maarten and I found that the duty free liquor was cheapest in St. Maarten. The water taxi to the beach near the port was great for an afternoon excursion after spending the morning riding all over the island on ATV's. Even if you miss the water taxi the beach is accessible by regular land taxi and only a short distance from the port. The French side of the island is lovely and seems more upscale. Orient beach is also great and the nude beach is interesting to say the least. St. Maarten does not get a 5+ from me because I have never been solicited more at a port or place anywhere than I have at St. Maarten. It was very annoying and while I understand the need to make money, something has to be done about the solicitations.

St. Thomas is an excellent port of call. First get the smoked chicken with the jerk sauce at MOJO, right in the port area near the Scotia Bank. It is worth it. St. Thomas has lovely scenery and a nice hilly environment. It reminded me in some ways of Hawaii and had a great beach at Magens Bay that we were able to visit. We did not do a ship tour at this stop. We just walked off the ship got a cab at $8 per person and took it to the beach. We also did the skyride but it was a waste of money and time and I would recommend people skip that attraction. There are quite a few beaches Magens Bay being the most popular. When you get to St. Thomas pick one and go! You can spend the whole day enjoying yourself and be back in enough time to not get left by the ship, rumor has it our NCL Epic left two passengers.
Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews