Sun Princess Cruise Review by stello50@yahoo.com: Asia

Asia

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Other

We thoroughly enjoyed this cruise. All of the ports of call were new to us (except for Airlie Beach and Darwin, of course)so that added to the pleasure. We also loved the fact that it left from Brisbane. Having said that, the ship did leave a bit to be desired. It was our first balcony cabin and enjoyed it to the fullest, but it was a bit small. The rest of the cabin was also small which was upsetting, because we tended to spend a lot of time in the cabin because of the balcony. The inhouse movies were terrible and ones I had seen over and over. The pillows were disgusting and would have liked a top sheet. The bathroom was small and 99% of the time we couldn't get any cold water. The shower was always very warm to hot. The only place we got cold water was in Japan when the temperatures were cooler and we wanted hot water. The cupboard was ok in size but could have done with a few repairs. The service by the cabin steward was satisfactory.

The laundry is always a joke. More I tended to do my washing on port days when most were on tours, or after dinner. The daytime activities were also a joke. Not everyone wants to do ceramics, paper plane making, egg dropping, knitting, and whatever other banal activities. Trivia was a joke and bingo was too expensive. The library is another joke. As for the internet, even though I had free internet I used up half of it just trying to get into anything.

I have only cruised on P&O Australia and Princess (Sun and Dawn), so I don't have a lot to base examples by but have been told that there are other cruise lines much better. Surely they can come up with better activities for those who aren't ready for a nursing home yet. I also object to the photographers being in your face everytime you venture to the dining room or off the ship. They are also very expensive so I only buy one or two photos per cruise. If they must take these photos, why don't they make up a package for each customer and put a reasonable price on it. That way the passenger is getting more and the ship is getting less wastage. How many photos would they throw away after each cruise??? I could go on for days about different things but when it is all boiled down, you can't expect the comfort and activity you would have at home, but I think they could put a little more thought into the everyday activities and choose suitable crew members to host. A lot of people thought Marvin was great but I thought he was a joke. He can't help it if he is gay, and I don't have a problem with gay people, but he did go over the top and was quite annoying.

The dining room staff were all excellent so too the Horizons staff. It does get a bit much everyday trying to find a table for breakfast but that is the nature of the beast.

We are sailing on the Sun Princess again in May 2012 on the World Cruise but I think I might take my own pillows, and a few good books, and my own jar of coffee. Less

Read more Sun Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sun Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sun Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe Deck C541

Tiny bathroom, limited room to move in cabin, balcony nice but small, needs a makeover.