Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by luv2cruise13: Dancers Beware!

luv2cruise13
Member Since 2000

Compare Prices on Carnival Miracle Southern Caribbean Cruises

Dancers Beware!

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean

We have been on 30 cruises so this wasn't our "first rodeo". We are senior citizens that love to dance (any kind of dancing, but especially ballroom). We selected this cruise because of the itinerary and to be with our 3 grown children who flew in to join us.

First I will cite the Pros: The food was better than what I expected. Our cabin steward was excellent. Very unobtrusive, but available if you needed him. Our room was very comfortable and we had more than enough room for everything we brought with us. Our waiters in the main dining room were also very good considering the amount of tables they now have to handle. We loved the fact that the Maitre'D actually spoke at night and was part of the entertainment. We had no problems getting on and off the ship.

Now for the Cons: Our dining seating was messed up even though we booked the cruise in April and want 6pm dining. They assigned us Your Time Dining. Our kids who we dropped off at the ship while we More parked the car (which took almost 2 hours, but that is another story not Carnival's fault), took care of getting the "last" table in the main dining room.

The entertainment (shows) were average fare at the two shows we went to. We usually do not attend shows because my husband will fall asleep during them. We tend to want to be a little more active at night. That is where our problems began! This ship did not plan their other entertainment venues well. They would have Karaoke where the dance floors were set up. Or they would have the ship's 9 piece band on a dance floor(Jeeves) where they take up the whole floor. Or they would leave the biggest dance floor empty for nights on end (Frankie and Johnnie's empty 3 nights in a row. Or the advertised entertainer would not appear. Or if you asked the group or guitarist to play a song they would not be able to. Or the times we attemped to listen/dance to the band in F&J's, they were so loud you couldn't stand it. Or they put 5-6 photo booths in the Atrium where there was music playing, but so many people had to walk on the dance floor to get thru there that you couldn't dance! Even the disco/nightclub was limited in what they would play. Mostly latin (which we love) or techno. But almost every night there as no dancing til almost 10pm. The captain's cocktail party on formal nite was $1 off all drinks and no dancing before dinner Who plans like this?

I went to the front desk to ask if I could play my own CD's in F&J's and they said first there would be a $50 hr charge to have a technician there to put it in. I should pay $50 to provide entertainment that they should be providing to begin with? Then they said that the music wasn't "approved." Never had a problem like that on past ships we have been on. I had brought my own CD player with speakers but had a problem playing it. I finally had a conversation with the Cruise Director, Malcolm, and he said he would put some piped music into F&J's. We went in their later and it was pretty much undanceable and their were too many people using it to smoke cigarette and cigars that you could not stand it. Why not just make the casino a designated smoking area so the rest of the ship could be relatively smoke free?

I sum up this cruise as being "All dressed up and no place to go." If you didn't want to go to a show, gamble, do karaoke, or get you portraits done, you were pretty much out of luck! So like I said at the beginning, dancers, beware! Less

Read more Carnival Miracle cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Miracle Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Miracle Oceanview Riviera 1180

Cabin 1180: Really a quiet location. No overhead noises or kids running thru the hall. Seemed to be pretty convenient location. Our adult children were in 5120 and they were on the same floor as the kids program, so kids were running through at all hours of the night. Now they have a "nite owl" program that goes on til 3am. Just imagine the possibilities for noise there! And their balcony neighbor kept leaving their porch light on day and night.

Two in our group took a beach excursion which they loved. Got a massage on the beach for $50, private cabana and a little tour of the island as they went to the beach. They loved it and want to go back sometime. Our other son, wanted to go to the fort, but they wanted $50 just for the cab ride, so he elected not to go and came back to the ship. We "old folks" just hung out at the ship, enjoyed the exercise room, whirlpool, and the peace and quiet. About 2pm we got off the ship to meet the rest of the group and visit the local shopping area. It was very clean and nice.

We booked the Land and Sea to Soufrieres excursion. It was well worth the money. We saw a lot of the island, which appears to be very poor. We stopped for several photo ops along the way. It was a beautiful trip by bus to the Diamond Botanical Gardens and Waterfall. The tour through the gardens was well narrated by our guide. We then went on to the catamaran part where they packed us in like sardines. I was a little upset at first, but after they left the dock, you could move up front and sit on the netting which offered a great view. The food was tasty and they provided rum punch after the swim off a pretty little beach. We got to see the Pitons for which St. Lucia is known for and Marigot Bay. We were a little disappointed that we didn't get to sail as the conditions were perfect. Even a mainsail up would have added to the ambiance and provided more shade!

We did our own tour with a bus to Orient Beach and Maho Beach with a stop or two on the way around the island. I would advise doing Orient first and then Maho because the planes come in around 1-2 in the afternoon and that is where you want to be. The island has a very good website for lots of information about the beaches. The food at Maho Beach bar looked good although we didn't eat there. St. Maarten was a place I wouldn't mind coming back to just to visit and stay. Last time we were there, we did the America's Cup boats and found it to be a lot of fun. But then again we are ex-sailors and enjoy the experience completely. It was a hoot to win the race of the day.