Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by egtravel: Awesome Thanksgiving cruise on the Freedom!!

egtravel
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Awesome Thanksgiving cruise on the Freedom!!

Sail Date: November 2011

This was my 8th cruise and my 3rd with Carnival. I was traveling with my sister and her daughter, my niece who is 9. We arrived in Fort Lauderdale the day before our cruise departure date. We stayed at the Best Western Plus Cruise/Airport.

EMBARKATION:

We arrived very early in the morning after a red-eye flight and they had our room ready by about 12:00 pm, which I thought was great since check in was really at 3:00pm. It is a good place to stay for one night, staff was very nice and helpful. Van to Port Everglades is $8 per person, be sure to make a reservation when checking in. Embarkation day was pretty painless really. We got there about 11:10 and were on board about an hour later having lunch on the Lido Deck. We got into our cabin (1051) by 1:30, luggage arrived by 2:30.

PORTS:

First stop was Cozumel, and we did the Dolphin Swim booked through Carnival. It's a bit pricey, but we all enjoyed it immensely and I would recommend it especially if you More have kids.

Next stop was Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. I have been to Costa Rica 6 times and have been to the Caribbean side two times before. It's not the nicest port, but there is a lot to do in the surrounding areas. We did the Sloth Sanctuary (for my niece of course) and it was okay. Not the best, but it was nice to know we were helping out a good cause there. The baby sloths were adorable! The weather in Limon is almost always cloudy/rainy, and the day we were there did not differ. November begins the rainy season. They have two seasons on the Caribbean side...Rainy and less rainy!

We then went on to Panama where we did the Embrera Indian tour. It was pretty cool, but not quite what I had imagined. Again, Colon is not a nice port, but you are only going through the city to get to the other destinations. Not sure if the Indians we visited actually live there or not. Seems like it was more of a little "village" set up just for this tour. But, still good for the kids to see and experience.

DINING AND ON-BOARD EXPERIENCE:

The crew on board was stellar! Everyone was so helpful and kind. We ate in the Posh dining room every night but one. My sister and I ate in the Sun King Steakhouse one night which was absolutely divine!! Bring an appetite because the food portions are very large. We couldn't finish and had to take our cheesecake to go! Ha! We saw some individual pax who could be described as, "ugly Americans" and that was disappointing. But, they were the minority, thank goodness. As on every cruise, you see all kinds of people. But that's what makes it fun! My niece went to Camp Carnival, which she likes. We sailed on the Splendor last year when she was 8 and she was in a different age group where they did a lot more crafts and things. Since she is 9 now, she was in the next age group where they do more games and movies, etc. She had more fun before. But while she was there in CC, my sister and I took advantage and went to the gym. My only gripe about the gym is the windows in front of the treadmills are mirrored, so you can't view the sea like on other ships. Went to most of the shows, pretty good overall. The R rated comedy shows were all just okay too, but not for the easily offended! I did find myself laughing a lot however. And as others have mentioned before, I did see people in their robes wondering about the ship. Come on people!!! Leave the robes in the cabin!!! We did hit some very rough seas, but that doesn't bother me. It was so windy though, they had to close the upper deck several times and distribute barf bags!

DISEMBARKING:

Disembarking was a bit crowded and probably the worst part of the whole cruise experience. But we were able to secure a van ride in no time after exiting the terminal. Overall, the 8 day cruise was great and would do it again in a heartbeat. I especially loved the 4 sea days! Carnival does a good job and the crew is absolutely awesome!! Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Panorama 1051

Great cabin, great location!! Just below the gym and above the Lido Deck!

(5)
At first I was not too keen on paying as much as we paid to swim with Dolphins. But it turned out to be my favorite excursion of the 3 ports we visited!!
Read 1069 Reviews

Colon is a colorful Caribbean seaside town, not the prettiest or safest. It's convenient to the Panama Canal and other sites. We visited the Embrera Indian Tribe, which was interesting but not too positive it's not just a tourist spot similar to Williamsburg in the U.S.A. Most of it was just showing us what they make so they could sell it to us at the end.

Not the nicest port, but you don't visit to just hang out at the port. We did the Sloth Sanctuary and Canoe Tour, which was nice but not quite what I expected. The sloths were cool to see and know they are doing a great thing by rescuing them. But the canoe ride was a joke! The canals were tiny and the distance we went was pathetic. I was expecting to be in the middle of the jungle, but we could hear the roar of traffic from they highway as we were rowed through the canal.