River Royale Cruise Review by committedcruiser: The luxury is worth the cost

committedcruiser
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on River Royale Europe - British Isles & Western Cruises

The luxury is worth the cost

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Paris

Uniworld drops the single supplement in Europe so i watch and wait. Awakwning jetlagged and grabbing a cappaccino in the wee hours while i wait for the sun to rise may sound wretched, but once i put my feet up on the window ledge and the sunrise sends a myriad of pastels reflected into the river my mood changes. i feel rejuvinated as i watch the houses, castles and foliage float past my window. i reccommend spending extra for a big window or a french balcony so you can sit on the bed and enjoy the scenery pass your window.

Uniworld's sevice is impeccable from the greeting as i enter the ship and the buffet lunch waiting to the cabin crew who keep my room spotless. After every tour i'm greeted w/ a lavender scented cloth and a cool or warm drink, depending on the weather and a smile. The hotel manager took one look at my last name and adressed me in fluent French. she was suprised i only spoke English and i was suprised (at the end of the cruise) that she escorted me to my taxi More w/ my luggage. The French tour manager, however gave the most boring lecture i've ever been subjected to and her accent precluded answering questions.

The cleaning gremlins are always polishing brass and cleaning windows, inside and out. The ship is spotless. Restaurant staff remember what i drink and decode the menu specials. As a diabetic i am grateful for the fresh food and healthy choices offered. I appreciate the chef creating French dishes that refect the region in which i travel. Every cruise ends w/ a chef's dinner and baked Alaska. The chef draws a fine line between creative and bizarre, but his dinner is never dull. Both food and sevice are A1 all the time.Reception staff are always cheerful whether lending me a scissors to keep up my travel journal or posting my mail back home. The night staff are friendly and we chat after i roam around searching for a book in the library.

The Royale is one of the few ships that has a jacuzzi on deck -- a pleasant way to rejuvinate after a relaxing hour in a deck chair. I've come to expect the best from uniworld and i'm never disappointed. The Royale is one of the better ships in the line and the food in France is fabulous.

Uniworld provides free pick up and drop off at the airport whether or not you book their airfare as long as your travel agent gives them the flight and times. The taxi fare from Arles to Marsailles airport is $150. I appreciate that courtesy. Less

Read more River Royale cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's River Royale Review >>

Cabin review: River Royale Cat 2 Burgundy Deck

Large room w/ large closets. Fluffy bathrobe and slippers provided. Umbrella in closet. I always purchase a large window or french balcony and it's worth it. Heavy curtains to keep sun out if you sleep in. Full length mirror in closet. Shower products are L'Occitane and they sell them in the boutique a lot cheaper than i can buy them in France or Canada. First class get Lemon and Verbana, lower classes get shea butter. my dry skin is grateful for second class. Glass shower door and hand held (vibrating) shower head. Lots of hot water. Climate control in cabin for those too hot or too cold days. Safe.