River Royale Cruise Review by committedcruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > River Royale Cruise Review by committedcruiser
River Royale
River Royale
Member Name: committedcruiser
Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Paris
Destination: British Isles & Western Europe
Cabin Category: 2
See More About: River Royale Cruise Reviews | British Isles & Western Europe Cruise Reviews | Uniworld Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

Ship Facts: River Royale Review (by Cruise Critic!) | River Royale Deck Plans
The luxury is worth the cost
Uniworld drops the single supplement in Europe so i watch and wait. Awakwning jetlagged and grabbing a cappaccino in the wee hours while i wait for the sun to rise may sound wretched, but once i put my feet up on the window ledge and the sunrise sends a myriad of pastels reflected into the river my mood changes. i feel rejuvinated as i watch the houses, castles and foliage float past my window. i reccommend spending extra for a big window or a french balcony so you can sit on the bed and enjoy the scenery pass your window.

Uniworld's sevice is impeccable from the greeting as i enter the ship and the buffet lunch waiting to the cabin crew who keep my room spotless. After every tour i'm greeted w/ a lavender scented cloth and a cool or warm drink, depending on the weather and a smile. The hotel manager took one look at my last name and adressed me in fluent French. she was suprised i only spoke English and i was suprised (at the end of the cruise) that she escorted me to my taxi w/ my luggage. The French tour manager, however gave the most boring lecture i've ever been subjected to and her accent precluded answering questions.

The cleaning gremlins are always polishing brass and cleaning windows, inside and out. The ship is spotless. Restaurant staff remember what i drink and decode the menu specials. As a diabetic i am grateful for the fresh food and healthy choices offered. I appreciate the chef creating French dishes that refect the region in which i travel. Every cruise ends w/ a chef's dinner and baked Alaska. The chef draws a fine line between creative and bizarre, but his dinner is never dull. Both food and sevice are A1 all the time.

Reception staff are always cheerful whether lending me a scissors to keep up my travel journal or posting my mail back home. The night staff are friendly and we chat after i roam around searching for a book in the library.

The Royale is one of the few ships that has a jacuzzi on deck -- a pleasant way to rejuvinate after a relaxing hour in a deck chair. I've come to expect the best from uniworld and i'm never disappointed. The Royale is one of the better ships in the line and the food in France is fabulous.

Uniworld provides free pick up and drop off at the airport whether or not you book their airfare as long as your travel agent gives them the flight and times. The taxi fare from Arles to Marsailles airport is $150. I appreciate that courtesy.

Publication Date: 12/03/11