Carnival Magic Cruise Review by 1948buddy

Member Name: 1948buddy
Cruise Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

INAUGURAL MAGIC CRUISE
WE sailed on the Magic from Galveston on 11/14/2011. Even though the ship had come in the day before, it was two hours or more late leaving Galveston. This was our 9th cruise, 7th with Carnival. Check in was fast for once, but we we hassled about the legal wine and soda in our carry on, same as the Conquest last March. Missing Costa Maya was a disappointment, as we have been there before, and wanted to go to Majahual. They should have spent two days in Cozumel instead of dirty water Progresso. Why they use this as a port, I cannot understand. They used to go to Calica some years ago, which is closer, with beautiful water. To make Progresso worthwhile, we took a cab all the way to Merida, which was interesting. It's funny at the cruise dock they want $2 for a bottle of water, while out side of Progresso, we bought 4 beers, 1 coke, and 1 water for $5.Carnival should have allowed each guest a minimum of $100 for missing Costa Maya.

Overall, we thought the food was good. We ate only in the dining rooms. My time dining wait was horrible 2 nights, and we waited over 30 minutes to be served, thus missing a comedy show and one main show. They are cramming too many people on the ships now. It's all about money, and we cannot afford Silverseas. Seating in theatre is bad. You have to go an hour ahead, and hope they are not playing bingo also. I e-mailed Carnival about all of this with no response so far. I advised they should read these reviews. I did an onboard booking the first night for a future cruise, no problems. Don't wait till the last night like my daughter. It was pure chaos. Only one representative on the ship. He was so stressed out that he became rude with people. Hopefully Carnival wll iron out some of these problems. We have been on the Conquest, the Ecstasy, the Celebration with hardly any problems at all.

We did the new cove balcony, which was good, and more private, but it stayed wet most of the trip..I will continue to use Carnival unless this gets worse. We are booked on the Triumph next October, which will our first on that ship, although it does go to Progresso.. I have urged Carnival to go to Cozumel and Costa Maya for the short cruises, so I hope other folks will complain about Progresso, making it more hopeful they will drop it...J. Vanecek Taylor Tx

Publication Date: 12/03/11