Norwegian Star Cruise Review by wallyworld583: Not a Star

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Western Caribbean Cruises

Not a Star

Sail Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Tampa

We arrived at the pier about noon. Embarkation went smoothly once we got through security. Two x-ray machines just isn't enough.

The cabin (inside) was about as expected but the trundle bed for the 4th person was a little weird. The room steward was very nice and did a good job of taking care of us. The girls loved the towel animals. Missed the chocolates on the pillow at turn down. Did appreciate the glass shower door rather than the 'attack' shower curtain. Never understood how those things can cling so tightly to your wet body.

The ship needs to be spruced up. Even the girls commented that the ship looked worn, with frayed carpet and worn paint. The public areas were ok but not what we expected.

We are not fans of "Freestyle Cruising". If I wanted to wait in line to eat we could have gone to Golden Corral. Not sure why they don't allow reservations in the main dining rooms. Service in the Versailles was spotty at best. I felt as if we were being More rushed to the point that on two occasions, the appetizer and the salad were served to me at the same time. As to the food, pot roast and turkey on a cruise? Really???!!! And just how many ways can you cook pork chops? There were some good things but for the most part ordinary is the best I can say. The Tex-Mex restaurant was excellent and had the best food of the week. The Market Cafe buffet was boring. By the 3rd day I could have closed my eyes at breakfast and would still have known what was there.

The kids enjoyed the pools and water slides. The entertainment was very good.

Took excursions in all the ports except Cozumel. Maya Key in Belize was excellent. The ruins in Altun Ha were disappointing but the girls liked it. Sail and snorkel in Costa Maya was great. The crew was very helpful, especially with the beginners like our granddaughters.

Overall, the vacation was great but the food and service on board will make me think twice about Freestyle Cruising again. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>