Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by nevercruise

Cabin Category: BA

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Unbelievably Dissapointing
Nov 14

I had purchased round trip bus transport tickets. When we arrived the bus there was no lift on the bus. The bus driver and I managed to get my husband up those huge stairs and into the bus. When we arrived at the port there was no wheelchair. I had requested a wheelchair when booking the cruise. The bus driver stated that he called for a wheelchair, but normally you have to walk up the walkway to customs and then request a wheelchair. However the driver called for assistance since it was apparent that we were struggling. This was not stated when I asked for wheel chair assistance.

Once we arrived to our room, I realized that someone should have instructed me to wait to book the cruise for a disability room. The door would not stay open and continually slammed on my back when trying to assist my husband in and out of the room.

I rented a scooter for him and this was difficult to progress anywhere because of space issues.

Restaurants

There are no designated sitting areas for the disabled in any of the restaurants. Your free styling is a dismal failure. I had to have my husband wait in the hall, while I looked for a table that he could maneuver to with the scooter. There were several occasions that we headed to another restaurant to find seating that was comfortably accessible. When I say accessible I mean not in the back row where I would have to meander for 20 minutes.

Elevators

There are no marked elevators for handicapped. Tried several times to get to either bingo or drawings or even breakfast, arrived at the elevator and had to wait for at least 40 minutes for an elevator where there was room for the scooter. People would just close the door if there was no room for the scooter. Frustration set in many times and I would just go back to the room. We were really beginning realize we had made a mistake by choosing this cruise.

Walking Deck

The scooter could not make it over the planked door to get outside for some fresh air and exercise.

Departure Nov 18

I checked three (3) times with the service desk to assure that a wheelchair was going to be available for my husband at 9:00 am. I expected someone to come and get him. The service person called, and I finally called myself. NOW they tell me that I need to move to deck 6 to get a wheel chair. Oh my GOD! How the .... was I to manage this? Well we arrived at deck 6 and my husband could not go any further. I ran to the restaurant down the hall and dragged a red chair for him to sit on. Let me tell you that the cruise director witnessed this entire scene and my frustration, only to disappear somewhere. Finally someone brought a wheelchair and we started to disembark.

Publication Date: 12/02/11
Read the Bahamas ports review by nevercruise
More Norwegian Sky Cruise Reviews