Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by rusty355f1: Too big for me!

rusty355f1
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 2.0

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Too big for me!

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I'm a very experienced cruiser and go on at least 2 cruises a year. One with the family and one with just the husband this was the one with the family. I chose
RoyalCaribbean because I feel they do a nice job catering to family's. I also decided to try the freedom class because they have so much to offer. I'm a Diamond member but when your traveling with a large group there were 10 of us it dose not help much as the only ones allowed in the priority lines were my husband and myself. We arrived at what was probably the busiest time to check in so things did not go fast or very smooth. Once on board I thought the ship was very clean and quiet pretty but there are so many people it takes forever to go on the elevators and most public areas were always mobbed. Lots and lots of kids but that's what I was here for right a family vacation, now that being said My biggest complaint is if this is the freedom class where is the freedom part? We were always in some line or another we More couldn't even get off the ship in Coco Cay as the line was so long to get on the tender that by the time you got off you would have to get back in line to get the tender back! This cruise had only three stops one we could not get off and one didn't dock until 11:00am so I was not very impressed with itinerary.

Review of my cabin: I was in a junior suite and it was lovely very large with a great walk in closet and lots of drawer space I could have stayed for a month my steward was very sweet but not very experienced my location was great right near the elevator mid ship so we were near everything.

Review of food: We always order room service for breakfast it was never on time always wrong and not very good. My husband went to the dining room one morning and said that was good.
Lunch we had in the Windjammer most days and other than the amount of very pushy people it had a nice selection and by the most part good.
Dinner was in the Leonardo dining room we chose early seating for the kids but it is really early 6:00pm we sat at a large table for ten every night and I found the dining room to be anything but relaxing our waiters seemed overwhelmed all the time if I wanted some wine I had to wait to get the wine from one person who always seemed too busy if my husband wanted a drink he had to get it from another person and if the kids wanted juice they had to get it from a third person so every night it was like pulling teeth to get a drink and if you needed another one it was the same thing over again. the food selection is minimal but most of the time I found it to be quiet good for the size of the ship. I'm not sure how our table staff were because they were always so busy.
The adults did eat in Portofino one night and it was so nice to be in a quiet and elegant room but with the extra charge of $20 a person you can't do that too often. Witch brings me to another point I said earlier I have been cruising a long time and obliviously love it and find it to be a great way to see and do at a reasonable price but I've noticed that cruise lines are starting to add extras more and more it gets annoying to have to pull out your key card every five seconds for every little thing. Charge me up front like the better lines do so I know what I'm getting into before I sail.

Entertainment: I spend a lot of time in the casino and this was a nice one with updated machines and very friendly dealers at the tables. We did try to go to a few shows but they now have what they call a box office and unless you stand in line the first day the good shows are all sold out. You can come 15 minutes before a show and wait again in line to see if there are no shows so I'm not a fan of this new system.

Port tours: Did not take any. Did not get off at Coco, took a ride in a taxi in St Thomas, went to a lovely beach in St Marten. Take the water taxi over plenty of beach and nice restaurants.

All in all the family had fun and that is what matters. I'm pretty sure I will never go on a ship of this size again as it is just not for me. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>